Thread: bolt release -trigger -sear pin

bolt release -trigger -sear pin

bolt release -trigger -sear pin
    that whatumacallit Im new to savages & not sure what correct name for it is -
    what keeps it from backing out & contacting the stock?
    or is it designed to be held in by the stock?
    when the action is cycled out of the stock it backs itself out of position
    I dont see how it wouldnt do the same with stock installed untill stopped by contacting stock
    thanks in advance -any responces appreciated
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

chakup

Re: bolt release -trigger -sear pin

I'm not quite following your question. It's held in place with a pin through the trigger housing. Pull the gun out of stock and you can see the whole thing and will make alot more sense!

MNbogboy

I only have 5 Savages and one Stevens and have not run across this problem...However, I did see the possibility of it and always assumed the sear pivot pin doesn't "walk" just because of the radial spring tension...In your case it sounds like it does....The stock will keep it in if it does....I believe, but am not sure, that you will be able to switch the pin end for end....Then hopefully it will "walk" in the same direction up against the pin's head...If you decide to change it you may have a devil of a time fitting that little bushing inside the spring while reassembling....I have since eliminated the bushing from all of mine and haven't seen any consequences yet (knock on wood)....Maybe somebody will chime in if I am way off base or missing something....
    Good luck,
    Randy

Quote -It's held in place with a pin through the trigger housing- that pin -it walks out with bolt cycling- stopped by the stock -
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Basic Member

I think you are all missing something. It works the same as that little guy in your refrigerator that turns the light on/off when you open and close the door. No matter how fast you open the door, you can't catch him! ;D
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I know what you mean

it's clear the ones the responded don't know much about their own rifle. The sear pin is held in place by the stock and the spring pressure of the sear spring. They do walk and will cause problems with inconsistent sear engagement. In Accu-triggers it helps cause the notorious trigger drop that plagues the design.
    It will never completely walk out because it is captured by the sides of the stock. However it will back out enough to cause a slight cant in the sier and this is where the problems noted all over the web that people that have one that likes to partially back out causes dead trigger with the accu-trigger.

Banned
    Hmm….REALLY old thread. But, No.

The Sear Pin is too long to walk out enough to cause a trigger failure. Or any canting for that matter. As far as being a problem all over the web, well, this is Savage Shooters… the leading authority on Savage rifles…. By Far! I don’t believe you could find even one thread of this being an actual problem. I’ve been a member here since 2016 and was reading up on the forum years before. I don’t remember ever coming across a thread with this happening. Except for people installing the pin on the wrong side. (User error)