Thread: Millitary brass .308 with headstamp IvI 81 Nato spec, can anyone help identify?

l67coooled

Millitary brass .308 with headstamp IvI 81 Nato spec, can anyone help identify?

I have the opportunity to purchase up to 900 .308 cases for a very reasonable price. Anyways before I do I'd like to identify where they were made. The only thing the headstamp says is IVI 81 and has a cross in a circle ( which I believe means nato spec)

Can anyone help add to this? Internet searches don't get me anywhere.

Eric in NC

Re: Millitary brass .308 with headstamp IvI 81 Nato spec, can anyone help identify?

Not IMI?

l67coooled

Re: Millitary brass .308 with headstamp IvI 81 Nato spec, can anyone help identify?

Nope, and after a couple hours I found what I have. Its IVI which is Industries Valcartier Inc., Valcartier, Quebec, Canada and it was made in 1981. Just in case someone looking for their own brass identification stumbles on this, here's where I found my info http://cartridgecollectors.org/heads...des_bottom.htm

carpet1

Good stuff, usually. Compare to US 308 brass

l67coooled

Quote Originally Posted by carpet1
    Good stuff, usually. Compare to US 308 brass
    Yeah it sure is. Only problem I'm having is the brass is so solid I'm having a hard time resizing them. I have a feeling this is going to be good match grade brass.

If it's once fired, the chamber it was fired in may have been the slightly generous military dimensions hence the hard sizing.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Probably fired in a machine gun. If you want to save some wear and tear on yourself get some Rooster Labs CFL-56 case lube. It's for case forming but helps big time with oversized military brass. I think Meister Bullets still has some left. It's messy and smells - but it works!