Thread: I just installed an Accutrigger on my Stevens 200

Bigfoot

I just installed an Accutrigger on my Stevens 200

I got my delivery from Midway with the lighter trigger spring for my 300WSM A-bolt. It took the weight from 4.25 lb to 2 lb.

This made the companion (same scope, mounts, sling) 223 Stevens trigger feel horrible in comparison so I made a spring out of .039 music wire, did some stoning and got it down to 3.5 lb. Not good enough so I dug out an abused FP 10 223 that I got from a co-worker and still haven't shot and looked the two triggers over. I think I can do this. I drilled a small hole next to the safety for the accutrigger spring to sit in and it all swapped over pretty well. It breaks at a clean 2.4 lbs. That'll do. For now. ;D

Re: I just installed an Accutrigger on my Stevens 200

Good goin, nice to know an Accutrigger can be used on a Stevens 200 with just a little work. Any chance you can post a picture of where you drilled that hole?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

rb4123

I'm jealous. I want to put an accutrigger on my Stevens, but I cannot find a place for the parts.

pics pls, I like looking at pics ::)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Bigfoot

A Jard, SSS or Basix trigger would be easier and cheaper. After Christmas I'm too broke to order one and I just happened to have this Accutrigger on hand. I just wanted to inform yall that it can be done.

I going to redo it in a few days so I'll post detailed pics of the process. Um, don't expect good photography. I'm trying to find a self tapping screw that I can use for a post in the new hole on the tang so I can cut a coil off the trigger spring and get it down to 2 lb. I also need to grind some detents into the Stevens safety bar so I can use it instead of the Accutrigger one.

Bigfoot

Ok I now have the opinion that it doesn't take any mods at all to work if you use the Stevens trigger bar. Now I know that Savage made different versions of both Stevens and Accutriggers so this might not work in every case but it did in mine.

The only mod I did was to drill the hole on the tang for the spring to sit in but since I clipped a coil off the spring it doesn't have that protruding section anymore so the hole is moot. By removing the coil I got the pull down to 2.25 lb. and it is pure sweetness. I could have removed more but I wanted to keep some pressure on the spring. I did make a little nipple to glue into the hole and hold the spring in place but I left it out because I couldn't see how the spring could move around. If it does move a bit and changes the trigger pull then I'll glue the nipple in. I left out the Accutrigger trigger blade this time, the rifle isn't a hunter and I wanted to get the weight down.

Link to Photobucket http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/bigfoot1111/

The Accutrigger action is machined for the two piece safety bar and has the hole for the spring. The Stevens can use the Accutrigger safety bar but without the thumb section it's difficult to maniplulate.

The trigger housings are identical so you can swap over the whole thing or install the trigger and sear.

The Accutrigger itself has the spring in the rear and the sear is grooved.

The other half of the sear is grooved as well otherwise it's identical.

The Accutrigger safety bar has the detents machined into it and is held in place by a spring. The Stevens safety bar is taller and has the detents on a flimsy tab that's held in place by a tiny dogbone, or mousebone. I prefer the Accutrigger version but since the Stevens action isn't machined for the thumbpiece I'll have to make do.

Ask away.

rb4123

Got an email in to SSS and waiting for the price on the parts. They said they had stuff in stock from takeoffs. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I want an accutrigger on the cheap.

Bigfoot

Got it down to 2 lbs. ;D Schweet.

Putting everything away I saw the trigger circlip laying on the bench (doh!) so since I had to remove the stock again anyway I measured the spring height and cut another third of a coil off. With the safety off I dropped the rifle two feet onto the floor a few times holding onto just the sling, the sear held every time.

Basic Member

awesome deal, Bigfoot. glad to see someone taking the splash to make that work. This is a definite option me, provided i can find a take-off Accutrigger....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rb4123
    Got an email in to SSS and waiting for the price on the parts. They said they had stuff in stock from takeoffs. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I want an accutrigger on the cheap.
    That'd be awesome, I'd definitely be interested also.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Bigfoot

If anyone buys an Accutrigger make sure you get the whole assembly including the two piece safety bar.

I had trouble installing the Stevens safety bar and mangled the thin tab out of shape. It could have been because it was hitting the safety adjustment screw on the trigger but that screw was almost impossible to adjust. Someone had broken the head off and painted it black to hide the fact. With a good screw the Stevens safety might go right in, don't know for sure it is taller. Anyway get the whole assembly just in case.