Thread: Model 12 LRPV Left Port, bolt handle hits the safety

Coyotejunki

Model 12 LRPV Left Port, bolt handle hits the safety

I've got one of these in 204 Ruger. When I cycle the bolt forward to load a cartridge, the bottom of the bolt handle and the screw that holds the bolt in contacts the little safety button. It is annoying and I was hoping someone had a fix for this.

Is it because there is too much play between the bolt body and the receiver?

Coyotejunki

Re: Model 12 LRPV Left Port, bolt handle hits the safety

Oh well, perhaps I'm the only one with this problem.

Anyways, I am glass bedding it tonight in a Stockade prairre dog stock, out of the mold cheaper version. Can't wait to actually shoot it. Thing is a chunk and is quite hefty.

ellobo

I have looked at this post several times today and am having trouble visualizing what is happening. I cant concieve of anything on the bolt that would contact the safety. Perhaps your terminolgy isnt telling us what your are trying to say. Could you possibly send a picture?

El Lobo

Coyotejunki

When I push the bolt assembly forward, the bottom of the bolt handle and the screw that holds it on.

PIC

rubs/touches/contacts this, I'll call it the safety button. I hope that is the correct term for this part.

PIC

Basic Member

Do you have the bolt handle in the full UP position, or is it partially rotated downwards?

I don't think you have your bolt in right,
    I am looking at my dual port lrpv and when I raise my bolt, the screw is at the 3 o'clock position (pointing right when looking from behind)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage

Look at the picture. I figured out what he's talking about??
    The bolt is out of the action and "uncocked". Pull the back screw out a bit, cock the bolt, tighten the screw and you should be able to slide it back in the action. Right or wrong?
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

No it's not..... I know what he is talking about. There is normally about .010-.015" clearance between the bolt handle and the safety button. I have seen this situation before, but not often. It is just an accumulation of tolerace that let's the safety button barely drag on the bolt handle. It can be from several things; excessive clearance in the bolt/reciever, the bolt handle casting is thick on the bottom, or the machine cut for the safety button is shallow. It can also be that the socket for the bolt handle fit to the bolt body is large and when the BAS is tightened, it moves downward, moving slightly off center to the bolt body.
    The first thing I would try is to loosen the BAS and shift the bolt handle up and retighten. That might be enough to eliminate the drag.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I have the same problem, when I open/close the bolt, the bottom rubs on the safety button as the op described. this on my 204 lrpv dual port.
    I have to try it on my 22-250 lrpv.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Coyotejunki

Thanks Sharpshooter,

I didn't want to reduce the OD on the BAS and I didn't want to have to remove metal on the bolt handle. I suppose I could put a little Dykim on it and show the contact points. But with a high dollar precision rifle, I was hoping for better tolerances and less slop than this.

I was a little concerned maybe frighten about action warpage after reading some earlier post and the LRP rifles and such.

All and all, guess it's not that big of a deal, just annoying. Anyways, hopefully I'll get to shoot it Friday. Sort of anxious.

I checked and my 22-250 bolt also make contact with the safety, I will give savage a call on Tuesday, I agree, their topline stuff should have better QC.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Coyotejunki

It is a shooter. Here are 5 shot groups @ 100 with 39gr Sierra BK's

Four different loads shot off a bipod. Looks like the bullets don't like orange target dots. :)