Thread: barnes tsx and ttsx

Basic Member

barnes tsx and ttsx

Has anyone had any experience reloading Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX?

Season is over here, but because I like the cool weather and nobody is at the range, wanted to work up some new loads for my 270 wsm.

My one biggest concern is the rings around the bullets. When getting seating depth to where I want it, from my initial test it might be that the very end of the shell will fall between two of those rings. I am sure when I run it through the seating die that the bullet will be snug. But I just not so sure I like the end of the shell open. And I guess this will not matter..

I am new to reloading and there might be something I am not thinking of. Thoughts from those that have reloaded these…

Thanks.

Team Savage

Re: barnes tsx and ttsx

I've worked with both in .308 and .260. Barnes recommends seating 0.050" off the lands. So I started there and worked up some hunting loads using the OCW process. Got 0.5 - 0.90" 3-shot groups @ 100'. Never messed with seating depth to see if I could improve accuracy. My understanding is the rings were added to the original Barnes-X bullet design to reduce bearing surface, chamber pressure and copper fowling. Best accuracy is usually around the max load based on what I have read and my experience. Best of luck and have fun!

I am also going to start reloading barnes bullets for my 270wsm savage. What weight are your going to try at first (I cant decide between 130's and 140's)? what powder? I have read that they like varget which would be great because thats what my 22-250 prairie dog rifle like so I always have it on hand.

Basic Member

130's are what I am going to start out with..

Powder -- IMR4350 to start.

Want to try some of the new RL17. It was desinged for wsm cartridges. Not a lot of info on this, so it will be trial and error -- hopefully not too much error.

Basic Member

I've shot the 6mm tipped in my 243 wssm for the last couple of years. They are deadly! I've always loaded to the last ring disappears and my rifle shoot's right at .50 or better. I have never played with depth because they shoot so good where I first seated them.

Basic Member

I might start with that.. I like to be about 0.02 to 0.03 out or my rifle likes that with barnes bullets. I loaded a ttsx without powder and it was right between the first and second ring from the bullet tip with the .02 jump. I did not like the looks of that,but they may shoot fine..

Thanks.

Basic Member

I have shot the barnes bullets and follow what barnes recommends. I tried my way and then their way and their way worked better. They state on their website the bullets don't have to be seated at one of the rings. They are not cannelures for crimping. It may not look right but the barnes bullets work.

Werewolf

I have shot 63 gr barnes tsx out of my 223 with one of the rings showing with no problems. A lot of barnes bullets have liked a little more jump out of my rifles than normal bullets.

Basic Member

Why not just crimp the case neck into the groove? It won't hurt anything.

I've tried the TSX and TTSX bullets in almost every caliber I've played with. They have all shot well (1" or less in a hunting rifle) with very little load development. In fact, the 168gr TSX is one of the most accurate bullets I've ever tried in my 300 WSMs.

Re 17 is a great powder and is always worth trying.

Andrew