Thread: 111 FCXP3 long-action will not go into full-safety

dragknt

111 FCXP3 long-action will not go into full-safety

Long story short, I have a 111 FCXP3 in 30-06, never been fired, but it has been disassembled and reassembled (including the trigger). For the record, I didn't disassemble it or reassemble it...it was a gift today, and was re-assembled by a 'certified gunsmith'. It's a plain 111, no accustock, no accutrigger. The safety will go into half-safety and functions properly to stop the trigger from moving and releasing the sear, but it will not slide into full-safety to lock the bolt. Looking at the mechanism, it looks like the pin that provides resistance when setting the safety switch is physically obstructing the safety block from moving into full safe. The lobe on the safety block that needs to be slid past the pin to get into full safe will not move over the pin, where as the more shallow lobe for half-safe does move past it. I tried removing the bolt and pushing on the safety block manually to see if it was spring-loaded and would slide over the pin properly, thinking maybe there was something wrong with the assembly on the bolt itself that was preventing the safety block from moving that lobe over the safety pin, but it wouldn't budge. There doesn't appear to be anything stopping the movement of the safety other than that pin. The 'certified gunsmith' that put this thing back together is pretty far from me, and he's the closest one that I know of. I'd like to just knock it out myself. Any ideas? Anyone run into something like this before?

stangfish

Re: 111 FCXP3 long-action will not go into full-safety

there is a screw that controls this movement. Read up on trigger safety adjustment. I am guessing all that will be required is for you to turn the screwless 90* +/-.

dragknt

Yeah, I did try that screw. I went back just now and double checked to be 100%. It's about as perfect as it can be. As loose as possible without allowing any front/back trigger movement. I tried loosening it up so much that the sear would release even when on safe, and it still wouldn't allow the selector back into the full safe mode. It might be of note that whatever trigger is in my 111, it's not the accutrigger and it's not the other trigger most 110's/111's seem to have. It looks exactly like the standard 110/111 trigger, except there's no adjustment screws on it whatsoever other than the one safety adjustment bolt and a silver Home-Depot-looking screw going into the front end of the safety block inside the trigger mechanism that I can't reach without removing the sear. :-\

Basic Member

Not sure if the screw you were looking at is the travel screw for the safety, but here is an article on the various screw functions http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html.

I think the one you're after is screw number 1, in this article, and the trigger has to be removed from the receiver to access it.

dragknt

That definitely looks like it would do what I'm seeing happen. I'm assuming that screw is in the newer trigger assemblies as well (the ones without the 3-screw pull/creep/overtravel adjustments) Ugh...are there any guides on R&R'ing the trigger, or any trigger parts breakdowns so I can see the relations? I googled, but I must be using bad search words. I don't want to pop the pin out and have it fall into five pieces before I can see where they all go. :-\

If you dont understand how to do it,take it to a better smith and have him adjust the trigger and make it safe.Or send it back to savage.This is life or death should there be a malfunction,is it worth it?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

you said -... it looks like the pin that provides resistance when setting the safety switch is physically obstructing the safety block from moving into full safe...
    the first time I dissasembled my trigger this happened to me as well
    the little pin goes inside the kinda V shaped flat metal detent -not on top
    the trigger is easy to dissasemble & reassemble -just a few parts
    put the pin in and slide detent over it - then slide both into receiver
    hope this helps
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

dragknt

Are you serious? So the pin goes BETWEEN the metal detent that's screwed into the safety bar and the safety bar itself? Just want to make sure we're clear on this...lol...because that's absolutely not the way it is now. haha That would make SO much friggin sense...

The good side of this is that I have disassembly/reassembly of the trigger down pretty well at this point. Well, except for the safety detent apparently. haha

you got it - thats the way it goes
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

dragknt

Just switched it up, and it's working perfectly now. Thanks so much! ;D