Thread: never mounted a scope before

CSM

never mounted a scope before

I have a new Savage 111 FHNS in 30.06. My scope is a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 Side Focus. I have never mounted a scope. What is the best base, rings and mounts to use? The tube is 1" on the scope. What can I expect to spend? I want very good quality scope mount that I won't have to ever replace. Thanks

Basic Member

Re: never mounted a scope before

EGW about 40 bucks for the base

CSM

Thanks for the quick response. Are EGW bases readily available at my local gun stores or do I need to order online?

Basic Member

look at the top of this page

order, most stores do not stock them as the cost a bit more and tie up inventory money
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    order, most stores do not stock them as the cost a bit more and tie up inventory money
    But they are worth every penny extra!

CSM

Thanks for the great advice. Should I get the HD (Heavy Duty) EGW base? And do I need to get their pricey HD rings?

r29l20

You won't "need" the HD base but that's up to you. No you don't have to buy the HD rings, you can use what ever ring you want. I like Burris signature rings, and Weaver tactical rings. But others are fine as well. Though I don't use the EGW base. It does look like a very fine piece, I may try one myself.

CSM

Thanks for the help.

Basic Member

CSM,

Just for your reference - this is the standard EGW base with a set of Burris Signature Zee rings. Lots of options for bases, but the Burris Signature Zee rings are my #1 choice. Some say they are not appropriate for heavy hitters (e.g. 300 RUM) but I have given up on such calibers as I have become older (=wiser).

Luck, Tim

janizary

I'll toss in the other option of a 1-piece base/rings: DNZ Game Reaper (or Freedom Reaper if you want 6-hole rings).

I've used the DNZ unit (in 30mm flavor) on all my center applications and have never been let down. Ring-to-ring alingment out of the box has been perfect, and I've never had a scope move once its in place (up to .308, so I can't speak to any 'big' calibers).

I haven't used an EGW base on my centerfires, but I use them exclusively on my rimfires and they are great in that application.

jrmy_1

I just bought an EGW base. The HD bases are a stronger/harder grade of aluminum, but the original bases are thicker/higher, which is what I wanted. You can get the "silver" bases which are anodized and should be plenty hard enough. These bases seem to be the best bang for the buck.

I have been using the SWFA rings for a while and like them a lot. They are also very reasonably priced.

Just remember, the base and rings are only as good as the mounting. Some say it's a good idea to bed the base to minimize any irregularities between the base and action. I would use a little locktight for this because it's removeable (unlike JB Weld). Some will also use some blue locktight (low strength) on the base screws to keep them from backing out. This allows you to use less torque on the screws, helping eliminate thread stripping, and still be confident they won't loosen over time. You can also lap your rings so they are true and aligned. I haven't lapped rings or bedded the bases, and I don't have any issues, but I guess it can't hurt. Remember to mount the scope/rings pushing the scope toward the muzzle as this is where all the force is experienced during recoil, e.g. gun moves backward in relation to the scope/rings so recoil force is transferred through the back of the base and the front of the rings.

Here's a link to the rings I use. They have multiple heights to choose from.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Aluminum-Mou...ngs-C3056.aspx

Good Luck!