Thread: shoting a new barrel

cooker900

shoting a new barrel

ok kinda a dumb question.

all of the ne barrels i have even broken in on new rifles ONLY. i have done it with factory loaded ammo. 2 years a ago i statrted to reload now with this rebarrel i just did i dont know if i should break it in with factory or reloads?

any thoughts?

also the way i break in a barrel is cool clean in between every shot for the first 10 rounds. then between every other shot for the next 10

Basic Member

Re: shoting a new barrel

Quote Originally Posted by cooker900
    ok kinda a dumb question.

all of the ne barrels i have even broken in on new rifles ONLY. i have done it with factory loaded ammo. 2 years a ago i statrted to reload now with this rebarrel i just did i dont know if i should break it in with factory or reloads?

any thoughts?
    Do you really think that your barrel will know the difference? ;D
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

cooker900

i doubt it but i can ask.

i was wondering what others did with a new barrel. thats all

Now that you handload, go ahead and use up any old factory ammo that you still have left over for your "break-in" shooting. Save the brass. If you don't have any factory ammo laying around, by all means, use handloads.

And there are no stupid questions around here, only the occasional unfortunate snarky response.

cooker900

well kinda like sharpshooter said would it really matter.

just didnt know.

Senderofan

Yep....If you have some factory stuff laying around...go ahead and use it to break in the barrel. You'll then probably use the brass to work up a load...which will give you the best accuracy for that new barrel.

Good Luck...Enjoy that new barrel!

Wayne

Sundo

I think Sharpshooter is saying it doesn't matter whether you use factory or reloaded ammo for break-in.

For that matter, I don't think it's even necessary to cool and clean between every shot either.

cooker900

thanks

Basic Member

when i sort my bullet heads out good from not so good i save the not so good heads and use them since they are not gonna be used in any matches.i also use them to foul the barrel and save the good stuff for match shooting .

fyimo

I don't think it matters either way unless your reloads are really hot pushing the max load in the books slightly above what's listed. The main thing when breaking in a barrel is to not shoot rapidly and then keep shooting when it's hot to the touch.