Thread: 9.3x62

9.3x62

I have a few long actions with 30-06 bolt heads and am itching to make something, after quick inventory I realized that I do not have anything bigger than 7.62mm,
    Use: well not sure yet, maybe a few trips to Africa (is this cal legal?)
    michigan black bear, moose (if I ever get drawn)
    I am thinking of 10 twist, but what length and contour should I go with, I don't mind losing a few fps for weight reduction?
    Do you recommend building one or go out get a CZ, I love those mannlicher stocks.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Eric in NC

Re: 9.3x62

Went with the 375-06AI when I was in your boat - did it on a 1917 Enfield action. Great rifle.

ellobo

A friend of mine went to Africa with a Ruger in .375 Ruger and did OK. Ballisticaly similar to the old .375 H&H which is legal in most of Africa.
    The Ruger cartridge will fit a standard long action. He told me that my .35 Whelen would be more than adequate for most African game with proper bullets in the 250 gr size. I can get a little over 2500 FPS out of my Whelen with 250 gr. bullets and shots over there are not very long, with rare exceptions.

El Lobo

chestsprings

a few years ago, I sold my CZ-550, 9.3 X 62.

regretted it ever since. another dumb move by me.

with 250 gr. Barnes X's, & R-15 , unbelievable accuracy.

really a fun gun to shoot with the 286 gr. bullets.

another dumb move by me.

don't think you'll ever regret getting a CZ-550 in a 9.3

defoxer

The 9.3x62 is legal in some parts of Afric, it has been around for donkeys over there and is about as old as the H&H....

ERIC - no exoctic cals as I do not reload.
    ellobo - 375h&h, hmm, I wanted the mauser cal but hey, might have to get a 375h&h,
    chestsprings - no, no, not the cz, sorry bud, I have been eyeing them for a while.
    defoxer - donkeys with a 9.3mm?

so a 110 long action is strong enough for either 375 h&h or a 9.3x62?
    I found a 375 h&h barrel, I am ordering it, if my long action is ok for it, do I need a muzzle break on either caliber?
    hmm, what options are there for iron sights?

I am also thinking of ordering the cz in a 9.3,
    now to find some nosler partitions or other good factory rounds.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
    do I need a muzzle break on either caliber?
    don't know about you, but I do!

so a 110 long action is strong enough for either 375 h&h
    factory built one for a couple years.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

fullersson

The quote below is from a Chuck Hawks article on dangerous game rifles. Brian Brown.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/bolt_rifle...erous_game.htm
    Muzzle Brakes

Muzzle brakes should be avoided on any rifle used for hunting dangerous game. As nice as is their recoil reduction capability, the (literally) deafening report of a powerful rifle equipped with a muzzle brake leaves the hunter unable to hear for some time. This creates a bad situation, as sometimes it is necessary to hear a dangerous animal coming to avoid being eaten or stepped-on. This is especially true when hunting animals that travel in herds, prides, or packs. Hunter injuries and deaths are often attributed not to the target animal, but to another that attacked from behind. In such situations the hunter's hearing is his only early warning system.

A secondary consideration is that muzzle brakes are illegal in some African jurisdictions due to the damage they cause to the hearing of scouts and gun bearers. And, for much the same reason, many North American big game guides will not allow clients to use a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake.

defoxer

defoxer - donkeys with a 9.3mm?

so a 110 long action is strong enough for either 375 h&h or a 9.3x62?
    I found a 375 h&h barrel, I am ordering it, if my long action is ok for it, do I need a muzzle break on either caliber?
    hmm, what options are there for iron sights?

I am also thinking of ordering the cz in a 9.3,
    Sorry, donkeys as in donkeys years... translation:very long time; an Australianism mate. But they'd also sort the donkeys out too!
    Muzzle brake? you wont notice the recoil when hunting.... you'll be too busy noticing the game

444afic

The standard 110 will NOT function as a repeater with the H&H, without modification. Loaded rounds are too long. I own a factory 375 H&H and compared to the standard 110, the magazine box is longer, the bolt stop is moved back, and the window in the bottom of the action is longer. If you are thinking Africa, I would look at the 375 Ruger given the action(s) you have. A bolt head swap is easy, and you may or may not need to modify the magazine.

JV

ellobo

+1 on what 444 said.

El Lobo

defoxer

Quote Originally Posted by 444afic
    The standard 110 will NOT function as a repeater with the H&H, without modification. Loaded rounds are too long. I own a factory 375 H&H and compared to the standard 110, the magazine box is longer, the bolt stop is moved back, and the window in the bottom of the action is longer. If you are thinking Africa, I would look at the 375 Ruger given the action(s) you have. A bolt head swap is easy, and you may or may not need to modify the magazine.

JV
    My standard 116-375H&H seems to function as a repeater without modifications ::)...

Eric in NC

BIG difference between the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H so you really need to decide if you want that much more power. The 375 Ruger (or even 416 Ruger) is a much easier way to go if you do need that much thump.

I don't have a brake on my Savage 375 H&H and wouldn't want one. It is fine for shooting offhand/sitting - does get a bit tiring from the bench but I don't shoot it with full house loads from the bench much!

Baryngyl

Maybe use a brake that can be turned on/off or one that can be removed, use it for sight in and practice but turn it off / take it off for actual hunting. Just make sure it shots to the same POI with it off as it does with it on.

Michael Grace

Quote Originally Posted by fullersson
    The quote below is from a Chuck Hawks article on dangerous game rifles. Brian Brown.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/bolt_rifle...erous_game.htm
    Muzzle Brakes

Muzzle brakes should be avoided on any rifle used for hunting dangerous game. As nice as is their recoil reduction capability, the (literally) deafening report of a powerful rifle equipped with a muzzle brake leaves the hunter unable to hear for some time. This creates a bad situation, as sometimes it is necessary to hear a dangerous animal coming to avoid being eaten or stepped-on. This is especially true when hunting animals that travel in herds, prides, or packs. Hunter injuries and deaths are often attributed not to the target animal, but to another that attacked from behind. In such situations the hunter's hearing is his only early warning system.

A secondary consideration is that muzzle brakes are illegal in some African jurisdictions due to the damage they cause to the hearing of scouts and gun bearers. And, for much the same reason, many North American big game guides will not allow clients to use a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake.

defoxer

honestly, you dont need a brake, they were not necessary up until a few years ago when it was suddenly decided that everything with a hint of recoil needed one....learn to roll with the recoil, your shooting buddies will appreciate it more.

I am not a fan of brakes also, I shot service nra and I have to time my shots to be ahead of the gentleman with a brand new m1a blowing his hot air at me. I double up my hearing protection, even then it is LOUD.
    Now for the cal, I am leaning towards to the 9.3, recoil and penetration better sectional density makes it a winner when I loot at it objective.
    I am not taking 500 yrd shots so the flight path advantage of 375 is not attractive for moi.

Is it me or there is something special that keeps calling me to these mannlicher stock rifles? Am I losing any accuracy going with a mannlicher stocked CZ?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

JV
    [/quote]
    My standard 116-375H&H seems to function as a repeater without modifications ::)...
    [/quote]

is this an original 375H&H, or one that you changed barrels? If not the original barrel, what was it originally?
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

444afic

You'll have to ask defoxer; that was his quote, not mine. I'm assuming he was being clever with his remark. Either way, the 375 H&H rifles that came from the Savage factory are not the same as 99.9% of the rest of the 110/111/112/114/116 etc. actions made by Savage. They are the same as or similar to the Ultra Mag actions in that they are set up to handle a 3.6" round, as opposed to the standard long action that is set up for a 3.4" cartridge. I own both a factory 116 in 375 H&H and a 300 RUM action, and on both the magazine box is longer, the bolt stop is moved back, and the "window" in the bottom of the action is longer than on a standard Savage long action. So if you want the standard long action Savage to function as a repeater with a 3.6" round, the action will need modification.

Before I broke out the calipers, I almost ordered a 7 STW barrel for a standard long action Savage. Thankfully I measured before I ordered. I have since wanted to build a 7mm/375 Ruger, which would have the same ballistics as the STW, but am contemplating a Savage 338 Lapua instead. Decisions, decisions...

JV

defoxer

ok, I was being a bit clever, hence the rolly eyes...
    As far as I can tell there is NO difference apart from mag/stock dims between the 116 -standard as issued- 375 and the other standard long actions, having measured (again) crudely as I couldnt locate the calipers, both the top and bottom windows at 96mm in 116 and Stev200. Which translates to: you can use practicully any round you're game enough to want to squeeze into the action(and mag with appropriate mods) short of the Browning and derivatives....
    While looking down the guts I did notice the stevens mag cutout was a bit cleaner in the stevens than the 116....(just as a side note)

ellobo

Hey defoxer, seems Savage rifles are pretty popular down under in the land of OZ judging by the posts we get here on the forum from there. Your knowledge about Savages is quite good mate.

El Lobo

defoxer

Thanks there El Lobo, I do my best, and yes they are developing a bit of a following, the Stevens were too, unfortunately the importer has cut the s200 range back to the magnums only which is a shame....