Thread: SMK quality vs ???

Basic Member

SMK quality vs ???

I've only been reloading for a few years and I've used Berger for 99% of my bullets. I recently built a .284 win on a long action and have been having great success with the Berger 180 Hybrids. The problem is that I built the .284 because I wanted to eventually try F-class and my 7 mag was to much recoil for extended periods of shooting. Anyways, shooting 75-100 rounds 2 or 3 times a month gets expensive in a hurry shooting the Bergers. I'm wondering if the 7mm 175 SMK would be in the same ballpark quality wise as the Bergers. I used to think that MK's were top of the line, but in doing alot of reading and seeing what most top shooters seem to be using, I'm not sure anymore.

I've tried the 180SMK (VLD clone) and didn't care for it to much. I've got a box of the 175's on the way, just looking for overall opinions on Sierra as of now. Thanks!

82boy

Re: SMK quality vs ???

I find that Sierra bullets are great! I would put them in the same class as Berger.

I too have had them shoot extremely well in a number of calibers. May 223AI shoots 52gr SMKs into a ragged hole when I do my part.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Have you tried the 162 A Max? It is still a .625 BC, accurate and about half the cost of Bergers for 100 count.
    More shooting, less typing.

They generally shoot better than Berger's without putting in the effort.
    Berger(Litz's bullet) are *technically* supperior bullets, but they take alot of fuss. That is why they came out with those Hybrid bullets, they use Sierra's Ogive and the base of Litz's bullets. That way you can shoot as accurately without all of the loading development.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Have you tried the 162 A Max? It is still a .625 BC, accurate and about half the cost of Bergers for 100 count.
    I have, and although they shot well, I prefer something with a little highter BC. Litz's book has them listed at .599 G1. The 175SMK is 639, Hybrid is 674.

Like I said, I've had great luck with the Hybrids, just looking for something a little cheaper to shoot.

The 180SMK's have a G1 of 660, but I went through a lot of them and didn't have much luck. I'm sure they are a great bullet, but they are seating sensitive like the Berger VLD's. I believe the 175's use a more traditional ogive, so I'm hoping they wont be as sensitive.

jdr308

In my 308, I use sierra and berger. I find that they both shoot great, one ragged hole. I load with match brass & Rl 15. I dont see much difference at all in grouping and I've tried a TON of different load & bullet combinations.

I'm not sure what brass you are using?? But Ive noticed a increase in accuracy in using match brass, and after firing them only neck sizing.

Basic Member

+1

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.776349,-92.405611

Quote Originally Posted by jsimonh
    I have, and although they shot well, I prefer something with a little highter BC.
    Not sure I follow correctly. They are $15 - $20 cheaper per 100 than the Bergers, you have tried and they worked well but you won't use them because they are .040 short in BC? Run those weights, related velocity and BC through ballistic program and see what you come with.

As for your original question, I never seemed to have very good luck with SMKs except in a 6.5-284 I built. Bergers and A Maxxes seemed to work a little better in all my other calibers. So now, I just reach for an A Max to begin with.

As to the part about you like the 160's-175's, but NOT the 180's...
    That almost sounds like a twist rate problem.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Not sure I follow correctly. They are $15 - $20 cheaper per 100 than the Bergers, you have tried and they worked well but you won't use them because they are .040 short in BC? Run those weights, related velocity and BC through ballistic program and see what you come with.

As for your original question, I never seemed to have very good luck with SMKs except in a 6.5-284 I built. Bergers and A Maxxes seemed to work a little better in all my other calibers. So now, I just reach for an A Max to begin with.
    I bought a 7mm to shoot the heavy high BC bullets, I have no issue with the A-max and it isn't ruled out for me yet. The A-Max versus the Berger Hybrid I've been shooting is a difference of .075 in BC. Trust me I've ran the numbers hundreds of times, but in the field I had better luck with the heavier bullet. I wish they would come out with a 170ish A-max, I'd be all over that.

The difference in price between the Amax and SMK's from PowderValley is about 3 bucks a box. Either of them is going to be a lot cheaper to shoot than the Bergers.
    My only other issue is I'm comparing everything to the Hybrids I've been shooting because they shoot extremly well. I'll keep shooting them if I cant get something to shoot equally as well for less money.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkker
    As to the part about you like the 160's-175's, but NOT the 180's...
    That almost sounds like a twist rate problem.
    I'm not sure I follow this if it is directed towards me. I haven't had any stability issues with any of the bullets I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by jsimonh
    I bought a 7mm to shoot the heavy high BC bullets, I have no issue with the A-max and it isn't ruled out for me yet. The A-Max versus the Berger Hybrid I've been shooting is a difference of .075 in BC. Trust me I've ran the numbers hundreds of times, but in the field I had better luck with the heavier bullet. I wish they would come out with a 170ish A-max, I'd be all over that.

The difference in price between the Amax and SMK's from PowderValley is about 3 bucks a box. Either of them is going to be a lot cheaper to shoot than the Bergers.
    My only other issue is I'm comparing everything to the Hybrids I've been shooting because they shoot extremly well. I'll keep shooting them if I cant get something to shoot equally as well for less money.
    I was comparing the BC for the A Max and the 175 SMK and price versus the Bergers. It seems you are set on the SMKs so only thing left is to load them and hit the range.

Basic Member

I was comparing the BC for the A Max and the 175 SMK and price versus the Bergers. It seems you are set on the SMKs so only thing left is to load them and hit the range.
    LOL, okay. I've tried pretty much all the "match" bullets that are available for me. But your right, I'm set on using the ones I haven't got to shoot yet (175SMK).

I'm not sure how me asking about the quality of the SMK has turned into me being set on one bullet to use.

Back to the point, I did recieve my box of 175's and measured a small sample of them. Out of 15, 14 were the same weight with the other one being a tenth off. Base to ogive was consistant.

Thanks for all the replies.

romulus

I sort my bullets anyway, and have not found berger's to be any more consistent than smks. Now there are lots of each that are off. If you don't measure and sort your projectiles, brass, etc. the only way to know is to shoot them. I've had fine success with many smks and great success with the Berger hybrids as well.