Thread: Midway barrel nut wrench?

mtnsmith

Midway barrel nut wrench?

Has anyone used the Midway Barrel nut wrench by Wheeler Engineering? They say it will work on all nuts.. Please advise...

mtnsmith.............

northlander

Re: Midway barrel nut wrench?

The Midway - Wheeler Engineering Barrel Nut Wrench is designed to work with both styles of Savage Barrel Nuts. They are a marginal quality product (softer, you can bend the teeth with excessive pressure) and are not intended for extended use. The will work in limited usage applications. For higher volume usage there are better wrenches out there.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member

I agree with Jim. I have a Wheeler nut wrench. It works but the metal is pretty soft. After removing just a handfull of barrels, the wrench already shows some significant wear (deformed teeth). I don't swap barrels very often so I will keep using the Wheeler nut wrench until it gives up the ghost. Then I'll replace it with a better quality wrench.

P057

Who makes the better quality wrench?

Corey

Bad Water Bill

I have a Wheeler. Well sort of. My first THREE bbls had to go to the gunsmith as the wrench wasn't up to the job. Fred at SSS (one of our sponsors) has the answer and now I have one of his wrenches. Check out his site here http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Titandriver

McCree Precision!

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Titandriver
    McCree Precision!
    +1000!!!

Cover Dog

JCalhoun

I have used a SSS wrench for years and it's still in great shape.

Basic Member

I have a Wheeler wrench and like others said, they are soft. I used a 1/2 ratchet on mine and it distorted the slot that was designed for that purpose.

I would suggest getting one from Fred at SSS, or one from McCree, JMHO

Desertfox01

just ordered a wrench and 1 piece scope base from Mcree

northlander

Not trying to turn this into a commerical but I have agreed a marketing deal with McRee Precision. I will be offering their Barrel Nut Wrenches. My pricing should be at $25.00. More details after the first parts get here.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

good news Jim.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

wapaloose

I'll take one Jim, Let me know when to call you.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander
    Not trying to turn this into a commerical but I have agreed a marketing deal with McRee Precision. I will be offering their Barrel Nut Wrenches. My pricing should be at $25.00. More details after the first parts get here.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    That is great news Jim, you are a great to do business with.

Basic Member

For taking off the factory installed barrel, I think the barrel nut wrench is required. But, for subsequent installs and take offs, is there a potentially less effective wrench that will suffice the task and fit between the scope and barrel nut? I know that for the factory barrel removal, I need to clamp very tightly on the action, but after that, I can clamp on the barrel effectively.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by bajabill
    For taking off the factory installed barrel, I think the barrel nut wrench is required. But, for subsequent installs and take offs, is there a potentially less effective wrench that will suffice the task and fit between the scope and barrel nut?

For other than factory installs I use these, a rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner.

Bill

DGD6MM

That deal is slick, everytime you turn around someone comes up with an improved way. I like, talking about the open ended spanner wrench.

revolverfan2

any body got one they want to get rid of cheap, this ole disable marine could use one, I can throw it in the heat treat oven and make it last a week ot two longer :)

Basic Member

late to this (as usual lol) just used a Wheeler action and barrel nut wrench to pull the barrel off my model 11 this past weekend. As others have mentioned it probably would not last many barrel changes (so Jim's news it very good to hear), but it did the job I needed it for. Took a few good wacks with a 4# hammer, while holding the action wrench with one foot. Felt it give and that nut came loose, barrel came off and now there is a barrel, nut, recoil lug and action all seperated...lol.

Now for the new barrel to get here and see if I can get it all put back together...you guys are right about one thing...can't do just one. Already thinking about the next one.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    late to this (as usual lol) just used a Wheeler action and barrel nut wrench to pull the barrel off my model 11 this past weekend. As others have mentioned it probably would not last many barrel changes (so Jim's news it very good to hear), but it did the job I needed it for. Took a few good wacks with a 4# hammer, while holding the action wrench with one foot. Felt it give and that nut came loose, barrel came off and now there is a barrel, nut, recoil lug and action all seperated...lol.

Now for the new barrel to get here and see if I can get it all put back together...you guys are right about one thing...can't do just one. Already thinking about the next one.
    MikeCTX - Welcome to the club brother! :)

Basic Member

;D