Thread: Shaw vs Adams&Bennett Barrels?

Late-Bloomer

Shaw vs Adams&Bennett Barrels?

"""LATELY""".... what have you been hearing about these two barrel makers in terms of quality?

Just looking for MOA hunting quality...

Looking for a 24"...either in 25-06 or 280 Remington...If barrel does not shoot well, will they replace?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I have not gone this route before... ;D

Thanks!

1Shot

Re: Shaw vs Adams&Bennett Barrels?

..My A&B .338 Fed. bbl. shoots min. of deer easy with 200gr Noslers...Just put it in a Stevens stock...I could close up that group but it's close enough for my intended purpose.. ...Shot outside of bull was getting my scope lined up from the Barnes 160's I was shooting..

[img width=600 height=449]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/338.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=449]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/338st.jpg[/img]

JCalhoun

I have an E.R. Shaw barrel in .300 Savage that averages 1.65" groups at 150y with factory Remington 150gr Corelokts. I've never had an A&B barrel so I can't compare them.

Basic Member

The A&B's I've had in a magnum contour (e.g., 358 win and 7mm mag) have been good shooters. Those in sporter contour were sensitive to barrel heating (not stress relieved?) but would probably be OK for hunting. The one Shaw barrel I've shot--a 30-06 in mag contour--shot and fouled about like the mag contour A&B's--definitely OK for hunting. However, keep in mind that the Shaw Crome-Moly barrels ($175 shipped) are in the white, and the stainless are $245 shipped. If you can tolerate the ~6 month wait, you can order a Shilen stainless select match from Northlander (see vendor classifieds) for ~$290 shipped. That's $281 cash +3% credit card. I'd bet you'd find it much easier to work up an acceptable load with the Shilen, with much less fouling, compared to the Shaw.

--Kevin