Thread: Savage .308 group at 100yds

l67coooled

Savage .308 group at 100yds

I just had to share my best group with my new savage axis .308, with a bariska hunt master pro scope. This is my first center fire rifle ever. I hand load using imr 8208xbr 43.7gr. with hornady 150gr btsp and winchester brass. I've only been hand loading for 2 months now. I shot about 8 shots sighting the gun in on different targets, then shot for my group at 100yds. This is what I got on my last one. 4 shots. I measured from the outside of the bullets, which I hear is the incorrect way to measure, so it would be a bit less than 1/2'' group if I measured correctly. I just had to share ;D

I should add that I did all the trigger mods, and this really helped tighten my groups. Thanks for all the info I've found on here.

Just measured it from the center of holes

Basic Member

Re: Savage .308 group at 100yds

Nice group! Looks good enough for me. Lol. What was the bigger help do you think; handloading or trigger work? My guess is trigger but I know both have they're role.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

stangfish

Good shooting!

l67coooled

Quote Originally Posted by MaDa
    Nice group! Looks good enough for me. Lol. What was the bigger help do you think; handloading or trigger work? My guess is trigger but I know both have they're role.
    Thanks! Well like you said they both played a nice role. I didn't have much luck getting any groups with the 5 boxes of stock ammo I initially tried with this gun, but that was the stock trigger and a very inexperienced shooter. I started reloading about a week after I bought the gun so I shot more reloads than stock, so its kinda hard to compare. I'd honestly have to think the hand loads, were the bullet seat is rate off the lands was the biggest help.

dacaur

When I got mine, also in .308, it took about 40 rounds of factory ammo before i really started getting "groups", using remington core-lockt, it would only do about 2" groups... I bought a few boxes of other stuff, and federal 150 grain actualy gave me one sub MOA group, this was bone stock before I did any trigger mods. Now I handload, with 165gr hornady sst and 43.8 gr of varget MOA is the norm, with my best3 shot group ever under 1/2"...

I wouldn't say the trigger job shrunk my best groups, but it DID make me start getting great groups more often....

Basic Member

Off subject:
    One of the reasons I asked to be honest, is that I don't have regular access to a range. (I'm moving once a project is completed so no purpose in joining a club). And with not having range access and plenty of time and tools. I've adjusted almost all of the triggers on my rifles(and safety checked). Some of which I haven't even shot yet. I know it helps. Just antsy to put some lead down range.

On subject:
    Wish I had the courage to start handloading that quick. Would have saved me alot of $$ when I look at all the .270wsm boxes I've been through....

I count it all as lost

seanmurphy265

I'm lucky my gun shop has two outdoor ranges one for sighting in riffles and the other is an outdoor pistol range. If you are a customer he lets you use the range for free. I'm sure it helps with the ammo and target sales.

I shoot a 30-06, but I would like to know is what bullet people find the most accurate?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanmurphy265

I shoot a 30-06, but I would like to know is what bullet people find the most accurate?
    I've seen alot of recommendations for 165/168gr. I don't reload and haven't shot my 30-06 yet so I can't say what works.

Do you know what twist your barrel is? Length? Someone with more knowledge might be able to tell you atleast what grain bullets would be best suited for the twist and length barrel you have.

I count it all as lost

rb4123

This is good news for me. I have a Stevens in .308 and with factory ammo I get around 2 inches. So hopefully when I start hand loading in a few weeks it will tighten up to sub moa.

rooster57

Handloading will most definatley shrink your groups. With my Savage 116 30-06 the best i ever got from factory loads were with Rem core-lokt 150 gr, MOA at 100 yds. After trying different handloads the one load I liked the best was a 125 gr Nosler BT with 50.0 grains of H4895. It produced 3 shot cloverleaf hole at 100 yds at 3100 fps and recoil slightly more than a .243

I recently sighted in a 30-06 Axis for a friend using 165 gr Nosler BT handloads. The rifle loved em and put three into .670". I was also sighting his Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 using super performance 139gr rounds. The Axis felt like I was dragging a brick over rough concrete when closing the bolt compared to the Tikka but other than that, the Axis turned out to be more accurate.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67