Thread: new predator max

duenweg

new predator max

Just bought my first bolt savage predator Max 1 chamdered in 260.started putting some bullets together tonight and found my chamber to be supriseingly short 2.75 was touching the lands that will make for some very deeply seeded. 140 sgk has anyone else experienced this?

digger11

Re: new predator max

I just started working with the same gun in max-1 camo.I am shooting 130 grain bergers seated to a c.o.l. of 2.930.I'm getting great results at that length and N560 powder from vihtavouri.I mean it shoots lights out.
    I'm going to try the same load with 130 nosler accubonds tomorrow.
    So far I like the rifle real well.I've already taken 4 coyotes with it.

duenweg

2.95 oal was about what I was expecting. But my oal is 2.75. Maximum thats touching the lands seems very short to me? I called savage today but didn't get any help on the phone lady told me I could send it in to have it checked out.

Basic Member

Different ogive designs will result in different seating depths. Try it with different bullets and see if you get the same result. The only positive way to know if the chamber was reamed to specs is to do a cerosoft cast of the entire chamber, then you can measure and compare it with SAAMI specs.

dnsmith

I don't have that particular rifle, but I can say that all of my savages have a pretty short throat compared to a remington or a ruger. I remember being surprised when i was getting land imprints on my first .308 loads for a 10 PC. as mentioned, try a couple different types of bullets, some will have longer or shorter ogives.

duenweg

Will do on the different bullets.

snowin

I have a 260 model 16 also when I chamber a round and close the bolt there is a little pressure not much but it seats the bullet to 2.75 so I will load them from now on to 2.75. Im shooting 129 gran Hornady accuracy is awsome even if its seems seated a little deep.