Thread: Any feedback for Millet ?

RCSavager

Any feedback for Millet ?

First time poster so go easy on me if I missed it when I searched the forums. 8)
    I picked up a Savage 10 FCP Choate this month and the goodies for reloading .308 for it will be here tomorrow from Midway. Now comes the time for bipod, base, rings and scope.

I found what looks like a nice piece of glass and wanted to know if anybody had any experience with them. Figured the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. ;D

Millett Tactical Long Range LRS Rifle Scope 35mm Tube 6-25x 56mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments Illuminated Mil-DotBar Reticle with Rings Matte
    Product #: 837380 Millett #: BK81007

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/837...th-rings-matte

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 35mm
    Adjustment Click Value: 1/10 Mil
    Adjustment Type: Click
    Exposed Turrets: yes
    Finger Adjustable Turrets: yes
    Turrets Resettable to Zero: yes
    Zero Stop: No
    Turret Height: High
    Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes
    Lens Coating: Fully Multi Coated
    Warranty: Limited Lifetime Factory Warranty
    Rings Included: Yes
    Sunshade Included: No
    Sunshade Length: N/A
    Lens Covers Included: Yes
    Power Variability: Variable
    Min power: 6x
    Max power: 25x
    Reticle Construction: Glass Etched
    Reticle: Mil DotBar
    Illuminated Reticle: Yes
    Battery Type:CR2032 3V (1)
    Holdover reticle: Yes
    Reticle Focal Plane Location: 2nd
    Parallax Adjustment: Side Focus
    Finish: Matte
    Water/Fogproof: Yes
    Shockproof: Yes
    Objective Bell Diameter: N/A
    Ocular Bell Diameter: N/A
    Eye Relief: 3"
    Max Internal Adjustment:

Windage: 140 MOA
    Elevation: 140 MOA

Basic Member

Re: Any feedback for Millet ?

I have had many Millett scopes. but never a LRS they just seemed too bulky; but if they are as nice as the TRS and Buck Gold i would say they are great for the money.

I started buying them a few years ago and have been very happy with them. Pretty good glass, great tracking, great adjustments, and have many of the features the big guys have.

The TRS is my fav now because of the locking turrets and illuminating recital.

They are no NightForce but if not shooting bench rest or betting your life on them, they will serve you great and never let you down.

janizary

Quoting myself regarding Millett scopes:

Quote Originally Posted by janizary
    One the TBone scale the Millet ranks about the same as Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed

From Opticstalk.com - Not my opinion and I make no claims. But a listed trusted by some given the source of the ratings. So take it or leave it as you will. 2009 scale listed, as I can't find the 2010 scale (not sure if it was updated)

2009 Riflescope Rating Scale

• - Leica ER, Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory
      - Kahles C - CL & CSX, Premier Reticle, Schmidt & Bender
      - Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American Lightweight
      - Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce NXS, IOR Valdada, Vortex Razor
      - Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest
      - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper
      - Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Pentax Lightseeker, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam
      - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Millet Tactical/Buck Gold, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed
      - Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Leatherwood, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons
      - Barska, Sightmark, Swift, Truglo
      - BSA, Tasco, Yukon
      - ATN, Leapers, NcStar

http://www.opticstalk.com/topic16515.html

My own experience is purely anecdotal, so take it as you may. I own both an Elite 3200 Tactical 10x40 as well as 4 Millett scopes (2 TRS-1 and 2 TRS-2). Weight aside, my Millets are (subjectively mind you) more clear and bright than my Elite 3200 (I still like my Elite, don't get me wrong). If weight is a factor, the Millets are HEAVY. Tactile use of the adjustments on both are about the same, with a big plus to the side focus on the Millets. Box tests on my Millets have been very good as well, matching up with what I expected reading the old review on snipershide. One of the TRS-2 that I own has been through two rifles now (both .308) and has had no issues in many hundreds of rounds. Again, anecdotal, based purely on my own experience, YMMV. Also, I do not own, nor have I ever owned a Buck Gold. They were rated one rank lower in the 2007 and 2008 scales (if I remember correctly), but were ranked equal to the TRS series for the 2009 scale. At that price, however, I may pick one up just to check it out.
    Since posting that, I have since picked up a LRS-1 (During the Natchez $220 blow out sale last month). It is somewhat bigger than the TRS scopes that I own, and the rings that come with it are HIGH. I needed to picked up a pair of LOW Milllett 35mm rings from Optics Planet to get it mounted properly. Eye relief on the LRS is quite a bit better than the TRS scopes that I own, and clarity is good up to 20x(in comparison to other scopes I own)

That said,if I had had to pay full price for the scope, I would have probably looked elsewhere in that pricerange, like a Vortex Viper.

Basic Member

I agree with janizary.. -- I do not have the Millett you have listed, but do have two of the buck gold 6-25 x56 AO models. I came very close to getting the one for 220 that janizary is talking about. Anyway, they have proven reliable (mounted on a .308 and 6.5 grendel) and the glass is pretty good. I got mine when Natchez had them on blowout 2-3 yrs ago when they were coming out with the side focus models. I feel that if I had to pay full price, around $325 at that time, I probably would have been dissappointed. If I remember correctly, I got them for 150ish plus shipping. Maybe they are better now, but I think there are better choices in the 500 price range you are looking at. Just my thoughts.

Another thing is customer service... I ordered a Millett picatinny rail from Midway and it had the wrong screws with it. I contacted Midway and they said to contact Millett first. Well... Millett didn't want anything to do with me, and Midway said they would replace it if I sent if back, but I just ordered some screws from midway for a couple bucks rather than paying shipping to ship it back. I know that isn't a big deal, but to me, it's the little things in customer service that really count, and I really hope my scopes never have a problem with them.

seanhagerty

I have a different take on Millett customer service.

I bought an LRS (it came with a set of hi scope rings), sighted it in and could not back the turret screws out far enough to reset the turret rings to zero. I called Millett and sent it back for their evaluation and repair. I had to send it on my dime, and was pretty unhappy about it.

I wrote a letter telling them about the troubles and how I had to pay for shipping to get a NEW scope repaired. In compensation for theses troubles I asked for the scope to be repaired and a set of low rings for this scope. I got a New scope and a set of Millett low rings in the return mail. I haven't looked the new scope over yet, but I am happy with their customer service.

Sean

janizary

Quote Originally Posted by placek59
    If I remember correctly, I got them for 150ish plus shipping.
    The pretty much sums up my buying experience for my Millett scopes. I've never bought one anywhere near retail. 3 of my 4 TRS were through Natchez on one of their 'insane' $150'ish sales, one through Midway for about $180. At those prices, they are great, at full price, I'd be looking elsewhere (echoing what I said previously for the LRS-1)

chakup

Pick it up from Natchez if they honor the price once back in stock:
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...05&src=tpSlrHm

My only real experience with Millet is with their DMS-1 1-4x scope. Absolutely loved it! I picked up one of the above scopes but haven't had time to try it out as of yet.

josey88

I was originally to get an LRS scope , but I started reading so many complains about it and the TRS-1 , that I changed my mind . I went instead to the Mueller APT 30mm 4.5-14x40 from Midway .

RCSavager

I appreciate the feedback guys. Hearing they sell these puppies for half price at places is sure an eye-opener. Maybe I should spend some time at Natchez today and see what all they have.

This being my first rifle of this type I'm just trying to get the money out of the gun I paid for. I don't see this particular gun using all the features of a Mark 4, and similar models, that can reach out to 1500+ yards. My initial decision to use the .308 round was me trying to be economical and purchasing a gun I can afford glass for. Everybody may want a .338 and/or .50 but not many of us groundlings can plunk down 2K for their glass.

I'm just trying to buy with my head and not my wallet. I'm not getting any younger so high magnification is something on my hit-list. Weight is of zero concern to me as this beast already weighs a ton and I'm not treaking anything farther than my trunk to the bench with it. So weigh be damned. ;D

I just don't want to wish I had bought something else when I have the resources of SavageShooters to lean on for my glass choice.

Some of the following features is what I'm looking for but again I don't require the ability to count sweat droplets on a fly's back either.

Tactical turrets
    Mil-dot reticle
    1000 yrd viewable and dope-able
    100 yrd tack driver (will probably zero @ 200)
    1/4-1/10 Mil clicks
    at least 40 MOA of elevation
    long-lasting zero and/or accurate adjustments over time
    Don't plan on shooting at night/dawn/dusk so not particular to illuminated reticles but happy to carry it if it comes with it.
    If money can stretch enough then can extend usable range to a possible future upgrade (.338?)
    If I find a used Mark 4 the conversation is over 8)

Nothing special, I just don't want to use only my own knowledge to do this with. My first attempt had me calling folks on Craigslist for NcStar and Centerpoint airgun scopes. /facepalm

I really do appreciate the tips guys. Money is still safely in the bank and the search goes on. /bow

shaman

When looking for a scope, I had a member of LRH tell me he used it out to 1200 yards for coyotes. I have one sitting in my room right now. Haven't done anytihng other than look through it, because I don't have a gun to use it on yet. If the price is honored by natchezz, pick me up one.

RCSavager

For under $200 I'll play labrat with a Millet. But I'd drop twice that much for a used Mark 4. The rest are just names I've seen. I haven't looked through anything other than the Centerpoint 4x16 - 40mm I have on my pellet gun as doing so would tell me absolutely nothing. I don't know what I'm looking for and probably wouldn't know it if I did see it. :-[ With that said I put my name on the notification list for one of them. I'm not going to stop looking but I do feel kind of stupid for considering the $470 price tag @ Midway. ::)

I'll do some digging on that scope list up above and see if I can't learn a thing or two along the way. Thanks fellas, much obliged.

With a little luck I might be giving scope advice someday too. ;D

RCSavager

??? I don't know...

That Vortex PST is looking pretty good.

rusty815

Im looking to pick up the millet trs-1 bk81008, can someone who has it tell me how it is? i didnt feel like starting a new thread about it.

janizary

Quote Originally Posted by rusty815
    Im looking to pick up the millet trs-1 bk81008, can someone who has it tell me how it is? i didnt feel like starting a new thread about it.
    I own 2 of that Millett model. One on my 10PC in .223 and (until recently) one on one of my FV-SRs.

My own experience is purely anecdotal, so take it as you may. Weight aside, my Millets are (subjectively mind you) more clear and bright than my Elite 3200 (I still like my Elite, don't get me wrong). If weight is a factor, the Millets are HEAVY. Tactile use of the adjustments on both are about the same, with a big plus to the side focus on the Millets. Box tests on my Millets have been very good as well, matching up with what I expected reading the old review on snipershide.

In use the one on my 22 was used for shooting at 100 yards regularly and out to 200 yards occasionally. Curiously, at 10X holdover is exactly 2mil for 50yards, when zero'd at 100 (again, anecdotal with the given setup). For the 10PC I use it for shooting 100-400 yards and have been VERY pleased with how well it holds zero across the magnification range.

I've never had an issue with any of my Milletts, however, there are many, many threads around the net about folks who have reported issues, so buyer beware, I suppose.

Basic Member

I own two Millet Buck Gold scopes one on my 223 and the other on the 308. Both hold zero very well. About the only time I'll ever have to change zero is if I change load. Tracks well and clarity is bright.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

RCSavager

I just spoke with Natchez and they told me 3 days for the one listed above to come back in stock. If it's that same price they'll have one less to sell by the end of the week. I'll toss 2 bills at hoping I'm doing the right thing. I'd rather do that for now before I toss 7 bills on a hope. At least this 2 bills can teach me what 7 might've bought. Can't know I NEED it unless I don't have it right? 8)

janizary

Just make sure to set aside a bit of cash for lower rings. Those rings that come with the LRS are ridiculously high. The Millet LOW rings on an EGW base still leaves about 5mm below the bell.

RCSavager

Thanks man, will do.

chakup

Quote Originally Posted by janizary
    Just make sure to set aside a bit of cash for lower rings. Those rings that come with the LRS are ridiculously high. The Millet LOW rings on an EGW base still leaves about 5mm below the bell.
    HUGE +1. I'm thinking they may even be too tall to use on my AR!

shaman

Can't access natchez right now, are they back in stock? what is the price?