Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a build 338 rum or edge?

Re: Help with a build 338 rum or edge?

Quote Originally Posted by officejet
    I guess what is not clear to me is the intended use for this rifle. A RUM, Edge, Lapua or 340 WM is foolish in any barrel less than 30" actually better in 34" or more.
    If you want a "33", for many applications a 338 Federal in a light Kimber 22" OR a 338 Winchester in a 24" barrel rifle will do the job for 100% of hunting. If you want to shoot gongs at 1000-2000 yards, that's another story. (I won't get into "long range hunting" as it's a no win debate).
    A Savage match action is more rigid than any open top. A 34" 3 groove nitrided barrel will shoot faster and last much longer and a $3400 scope brings it all together, if you need that capability. If not: "if you can't get it done with a 30-06 etc."
    I'll disagree. My buddies 28" barrel shoots very well and doesn't leave a considerable amount of velocity over the 32" barrel I had. It all depends on where your accuracy node is. My buddy got his accuracy at a higher pressure, I had to back mine off a bit to get the same velocity.

A Yugo will get you to work, but to most people, they want something just because they want it. Need, is usually a secondary factor.

It's all just my opinion, and you know what everyone says about opinions. ::)
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

I guess what is not clear to me is the intended use for this rifle. A RUM, Edge, Lapua or 340 WM is foolish in any barrel less than 30" actually better in 34" or more.
    If you want a "33", for many applications a 338 Federal in a light Kimber 22" OR a 338 Winchester in a 24" barrel rifle will do the job for 100% of hunting. If you want to shoot gongs at 1000-2000 yards, that's another story. (I won't get into "long range hunting" as it's a no win debate).
    A Savage match action is more rigid than any open top. A 34" 3 groove nitrided barrel will shoot faster and last much longer and a $3400 scope brings it all together, if you need that capability. If not: "if you can't get it done with a 30-06 etc."
    You may want to read this and get some hard facts before making such a bold statment. http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...l_velocity.htm
    Barrel length does not make as big of a diference as most people think. The whole 50fps per inch is usualy bunk. My edge is getting 2800 fps with 300gr smks out of a 29" mcgowan. My buddy is shooting the same basic load and getting 2800 out of a 26".

Basic Member

"Then you have to fix it to the stock so it feeds correctly."
    Yes if you're talking about a staggerfeed mag. Shouldn't have to with the centerfeeds as they're already fixed in the stock and not attached to the action. You should just be able to cut out a notch in the front for the bullets to stick through. I haven't tried this yet but plan to and wonder if the rounds would slide forward during recoil too far and make the bullet catch under the feed ramp.

"The left port load is plenty fast enough as this is not a "running jackrabbit rifle"."

True, which is why I have thought of just running mine as a single shot instead of all the fuss with the magazine. Haven't made up my mind yet.

By the way, Merry Christmas everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    Yes if you're talking about a staggerfeed mag. Shouldn't have to with the centerfeeds as they're already fixed in the stock and not attached to the action. You should just be able to cut out a notch in the front for the bullets to stick through. I haven't tried this yet but plan to and wonder if the rounds would slide forward during recoil too far and make the bullet catch under the feed ramp.

"The left port load is plenty fast enough as this is not a "running jackrabbit rifle"."

True, which is why I have thought of just running mine as a single shot instead of all the fuss with the magazine. Haven't made up my mind yet.

By the way, Merry Christmas everybody!
    You will have to fix it to the stock, because to get the most room, you'll have to ditch the "L" clip to move the magazine back in the mag well. And, as stated, the notch in the front for the bullets. Nothing left to hold the magazine in.

I had to put a small radius on the front of the mag opening to keep the bullets from catching on the feed ramp. You really have to be careful here because it is directly behind the lower lug abutment. You want to keep as much metal there as possible.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by jc
    You may want to read this and get some hard facts before making such a bold statment. http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...l_velocity.htm
    Barrel length does not make as big of a diference as most people think. The whole 50fps per inch is usualy bunk. My edge is getting 2800 fps with 300gr smks out of a 29" mcgowan. My buddy is shooting the same basic load and getting 2800 out of a 26".
    Actually, no....it has more to do with what the actually land and groove measurement is. I built two, exact rifles, with the same barrels, from the same manufacturer. One barrel is almost 100 fps faster than the other....with the SAME load.

Basic Member

My point exactly. Many other factors come into play other that barrel length.
    So as to not hijack the post from the OP here is the info on my edge repeater using accurate mags, mags
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...inished-68313/

Basic Member

"You will have to fix it to the stock, because to get the most room, you'll have to ditch the "L" clip to move the magazine back in the mag well. And, as stated, the notch in the front for the bullets. Nothing left to hold the magazine in.

I had to put a small radius on the front of the mag opening to keep the bullets from catching on the feed ramp. You really have to be careful here because it is directly behind the lower lug abutment. You want to keep as much metal there as possible."

I must be missing something here because in my centerfeed action it doesn't look like the cag will have to be moved back. Now I haven't tried a RUM round in it but I have tested a 300 Weatherby which should be very close to the same COAL and it will actually squeeze into the magazine. The nose of the bullet is rubbing the front though so it won't come up unless I were to cut out a notch in the front of the box. There's a gap between the front of the mag box and the feed ramp that will allow enough clearance for the bullet so shouldn't require doing anything to the feed ramp. Now with very heavy 338 bullets it might be an issue but it looks like most rounds should fit. At least in my action it appears that way. I'll try to get a picture of it and post it. Not arguing, mind you, just telling what I've observed and trying to understand more myself. If I have to do any altering to the action, I'd just as soon use it as a single shot as it would be much less trouble. Wanting to also use it as a hunting rifle though makes me want it to be a repeater.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    "You will have to fix it to the stock, because to get the most room, you'll have to ditch the "L" clip to move the magazine back in the mag well. And, as stated, the notch in the front for the bullets. Nothing left to hold the magazine in.

I had to put a small radius on the front of the mag opening to keep the bullets from catching on the feed ramp. You really have to be careful here because it is directly behind the lower lug abutment. You want to keep as much metal there as possible."

I must be missing something here because in my centerfeed action it doesn't look like the cag will have to be moved back. Now I haven't tried a RUM round in it but I have tested a 300 Weatherby which should be very close to the same COAL and it will actually squeeze into the magazine. The nose of the bullet is rubbing the front though so it won't come up unless I were to cut out a notch in the front of the box. There's a gap
    between the front of the mag box and the feed ramp that will allow enough clearance for the bullet so
    shouldn't require doing anything to the feed ramp. Now with very heavy 338 bullets it might be an issue but it
    looks like most rounds should fit. At least in my action it appears that way. I'll try to get a picture of it and
    post it. Not arguing, mind you, just telling what I've observed and trying to understand more myself. If I
    have to do any altering to the action, I'd just as soon use it as a single shot as it would be much less trouble.
    Wanting to also use it as a hunting rifle though makes me want it to be a repeater.
    That is exactly what my brother did in order to run 240gr smks in his 300rum. It works perfectly. His action is a center feed stevens that started as a 7mm rem mag. He did not have to notch the ramp. He gets 2 rounds
    in the mag.

Basic Member

jc did your brother have any trouble with the rounds wanting to slide out of the opening he made in the front of the magazine during recoil or did it feed fine?

Basic Member

No trouble so far he has about 150 rounds through it. His rifle weights about 13lb and has a good brake so recoil is pretty slight.

officejet

My point exactly, a three groove nitrided 34" barrel will be a LOT faster than any factory barrel, and needs no silly brake to tame the recoil (14 pounds) and shatter your ears.

The idea of 338 Lapua or RUM as a "walkabout" rifle makes about as much sense as a B52 for a crop duster.

The reason for either cartridge begins at 1000 yards for people or target killing. For an ethical hunter, a 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H will handle anything in North America and come in at about 9 pounds w/a 24" barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12