Thread: Getting started

Basic Member

Getting started

Currently I have a friend that does all of my handloads for me. He does great work, but it doesn't give me the oppertunity to do alot of tweaking of my loads. He has a big Dillon setup, and does alot of volume. It is a pain for me to drive an hour to his house to use his equipment, set up, and then just do a few rounds for development. On top of that I'm getting ready to build a 25-06AI, which is something he doesn't load for.

So I'm going to buy the equipment to start doing some loading on my own. Now my questions. Are any of the single stage kits available worth buying, or should I buy everything individually? If I buy a kit, what else do I need besides the kit and my dies?

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.
    112 BVSS .300 Win Mag, 12 FVSS .308, 110 FCP-K 25-06, 110 30-06

Basic Member

Re: Getting started

And of course right after I post I see the link to the articles.... So any help other than what is there would be appreciated.
    112 BVSS .300 Win Mag, 12 FVSS .308, 110 FCP-K 25-06, 110 30-06

Forty years ago I started with a Lee handloader at the dinning room table and it worked for me.I now use a RCBS kit and load for about 15 different calibers all single stage, I also load 4 shot gun guages one at a time.I like the fact I have much better control over each load.
    To answer your question -NOTHING- yes a kit will give you what you need to do what you want but I can tell you right off you will add to the accessories and before you know it the bench will be full of things that you will not use,but will have just in case.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

I have and use 3 different presses and none will produce more accurate than the other. Accuracy is in the details and how much effort you want to put into it.

gotcha

Yes, the kits are a good buy & you'll save money over buying tools individually. Personally, I prefer the RCBS kit. Not top of the line like the Forster co-ax but not bottom of the line either. Don't know off-hand if the RCBS kit includes loading blocks but you'll probably want at least two. Get a couple of good Manuals & read thoroughly. Lyman & Hornady are excellent. Great videos @ ammosmith.com for those just getting started. If you're already setting up that Dillon you're off to a good start & a single-stage press will be a breeze. I don't think any of the starter kits include a tumbler. ( clean brass is happy brass :D) Dirty brass can lead to stuck cases & bugger up your dies. A variable speed screw driver can chuck up primer pocket brushes/uniformers, neck brushes & chamfering tools. With a shell holder from Sinclair or Lee you can also polish cases. Good Luck!