Thread: Wifes Wallhanger

BigRyan

Wifes Wallhanger

Thought Id share a great story & pics with ya fellas. I have been hunting every day & night since last saturday (Opening General Gun Day). Tammy (My beautiful bride) has had to work all weekend, but she said she had tues & wed off this week. So I made her a promise that if she saw "A Big One" on either of her days off, she could take it. Well yesterday at 6am she got to see 8 doe's and it really got her blood pumping. This morning she really did'nt want to crawl out of bed, but I managed to talk her into it. I told her I would get the kids off to school, and she could go alone. So 530am off she went to go sit in the blind. She took along my Custom Savage Edge in 6tcu, loaded with sierra 75gr hollow point running along at a modest 2600fps. I told her if she saw a buck to aim just below his head, right in the middle of his neck. Sure enough about 730am I heard a pop! 30 seconds later she was calling me on her cell phone with a voice she could hardly control. "Ryan, Ryan, I I I I I I got a BIG ONE!"...Here is the end result fellas. The 75gr Sierra did'nt pass through, it blew up like a grenade inside him. (Just what I wanted it to do) She said it was a Bang, Flop, and that he never even twitched. A real nice mature 9pt that weighed in at 176lbs. Shot was aprox 75 yards. I told her we will get it mounted, as you dont get the opportunity to get a deer of this class in FL to darn often. Im glad we got this one out of the heard cause he had a very bad broken ankle, it had healed good, but he walked on the side of it. Tammy said he really did'nt walk with a gimp, but it had to be painfull for him. My Big 8 Pointer is still alive, as I saw him last night standing in the middle of the road, maybe I will get as lucky as Tammy later this week! Cheers, BR

Basic Member

Re: Wifes Wallhanger

Great story, REALLY GREAT DEER!!... but I hope in the future you will both learn to accept that those little cartridges, pushing those little tiny bullets will not work on big deer!
    Jeff518

BigRyan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff518
    Great story, REALLY GREAT DEER!!... but I hope in the future you will both learn to accept that those little cartridges, pushing those little tiny bullets will not work on big deer!
    Jeff, first, thank you for the compliments. That being said, I must disagree with you. I normaly use only 223's with 55gr ballistic tips or SP's. I work for a large corporate game ranch down here in FL, and have been killing deer & hogs alike using this method for a long time now. I kill hundreds of hogs every yr, prob more then a typical hunter will shoot there entire life. Its all about shot placement. TV shows teach hunters to shoot for the vitals, However if you want your game to drop in its footsteps each and every time, you will aim for the neck. My favorite saying is "I would go to Africa with a 223" lol. And thats the truth. This kind of shooting is not for everyone, so I always discourage this type of shooting unless the shooter is absolutely 100% confident in there shooting skills. I hate tracking animals, and really this is one of the most humane methods of killing one immediately without having to track. They never so much as flintch once that spine is broken. Its instant DOA. I have taught my wife & both boys to hunt this way, aswell I have converted many long time "Vital Shot" hunters into using this method. Again, its not for everyone, but for those who do, it works! Stop by my website some day. We would love to have you in chat one evening. www.brtradingfort.com Cheers, BR

Basic Member

I believe he may have been joking wit ya. ;D
    Stu

Basic Member

Nice deer, and nice shooting by the wife. One thing is for certain, there isn't a lot of lost meat with that shot.

I killed a nice 40lb coyote with a 17 HMR with that same mentality. Shot was only 15yds, and that was after he moved back 10yds from before. It had to have the "one last look" and so it stopped and peeked out from behind a bush. I was ready and waiting with safety off and finger on the trigger. Just moved the crosshairs just behind his jaw, and bang flop. Yup that little 20gr bullet did a fantastic job. Little bullets, placed properly, do the trick.

airaddict

Thats my mentality as well BR. I hunt on 50 acres near san antonio and i take neck shots so they dont run and jump the fence into the neighbors property. They are not to friendly towards hunters so i do all i can to avoid dealing w them since they are not personable. Sucks i have to do it for that reason but oh well........i like not traking them or having to jump barb wire fences for permission to recover the deer. Hopefully i see a few nice ones this year. I prefer shooting axis there since they taste way better than whitetails.

Brian

jdr308

I decided on the neck shot about 12 years ago while on a hog hunt in s. carolina. We were at a place hunting free range hogs in the swamps. There were several marines there hunting as well and most of them were using 308, after hearing about them having to try and track a hog in the swamps after making a "vitals" shot I decided I wasnt taking that shot. And if you have ever hunted in those swamps you would understand why a guy wouldnt want to be tracking out there.!! Im from indiana and here we dont have to worry about snakes etc.! anyway- I was using a 30-06 loaded with 165 gamekings, I aimed just behind the ear and pulled the trigger. You wouldnt believe the mess that made, but I didnt have to go look for my hog.! But back to the original post- Very nice deer- she should be very proud of that buck and the shot she made.!

Congrats to you and your wife.

You've got a keeper there, the wife and the deer.

I'm also very fortunate that my wife and children enjoy hunting.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Nandy

Congratulations on a great hunt! I also prefer neck shots, head shot not so much for deer. Vitals when they start pushing past 100 yards or are spooky. This year the first 2 I killed were in motion and i shot them the second they stopped with shots to the heart. One went 20 yards the other one dropped on its tracks. The one today was a neck shot, drop on its track.

fyimo

Congratulations on the nice buck and the wonderful wife.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stu
    I believe he may have been joking wit ya. ;D
    Yup, it was meant to be a back-handed compliment about not needing nuclear weapons to hunt...shot placement is something well understood by real hunters, using a gun that they've spent hundreds of rounds getting to know intimately. Trophy mounts are the reward of patient hunters.
    Jeff
    Jeff518