Thread: Makin meat with smokepoles this weekend, me and the missus score!

Basic Member

Makin meat with smokepoles this weekend, me and the missus score!

Wife and I had done filled our buck tags here in KY, had to wait till last 3 days of ML season , either sex then. We both got one Sat. morning, hers ran 50 yds and flopped over, drilled thru both shoulders, #85 doe, she shot it about 100yds with a Knight wolverine, .50, about the 12th deer she has taken with it. I was using a new rifle, first new ML I had hunted with in years, a T/C omega .50, 3x9x40 burris FFII, w/B plex. I am shooting a 260gn. 45 ballistic, BT copper jacketed Harvester bullett, with a blackcrush rib sabot, 110grs, 2ffg black powder. I had jumped a herd of 4 and they ran across the field, stopped at the woodline and a huge old doe turned and stomped and blowed at me facing me. I was caught in the open, no rest, so I used a hasty sling and tightened up, let the x Hiea settle on her chest and squeezed off. WHAM! She flipped back spun around and all 4 of them hit the woods, only about 10 yds to the bluff, sure enough,she slid all the way to the bottom of the holler, straight up and down, about 150yds, stopped in the creek in the bottom. I called the wife, hers had dropped in the field, mine was about a #130 doe, gutted! WE had to drag it forever up the creek, impossible to bring it up the bluff, nearly 90 degrees st. up. We finally got her to a place we could use a rope and snake her the rest of the way out with a 4wheeler. It felt good to pull a good clean off hand shot off at this distance, just like shooting off hand at Friendship Indiana when I used to shoot the NLMRA matches there. Years of offhand shooting sure can pay off.
    We skinned, boned and sliced up then ground them both, just kept the backstraps, and sweetbreads out, ground the rest into burger for chili, lasagna, brats, and summer sausage. Got some summer sausage on now, man it is starting to smell good. The 2 deer made about #75-80 of burger, put into 1&1/2# packages. This topped of both freezers with deer, elk and garden goodies. My daughter will be home in 3 days, will take about #35 of burger home to Ohio when she leaves home here in KY. We will still have over #100 of burger left. We also canned her buck this year, made 40 pints, and man is that good stuff, tastes like beef sirloin that has been cooked in a slow cooker for 24hours. Well, just thought I would share.

MrMajestic

Re: Makin meat with smokepoles this weekend, me and the missus score!

What times dinner? I could be there in probably 8 hrs.!

woodsman416

Re: Makin meat with smokepoles this weekend, me and the missus score!

Good story! Congrats on the hunt and the wise usage of the meat.