Thread: Barrel break in

MWalker

Barrel break in

I am putting together my first savage. I picked up a CBI Barrel from Jim@Northland. I am almost all put together other than my scope and I will be shooting it. What is the best way to break it in?

fullersson

Re: Barrel break in

This is from Krieger's website. Brian Brown.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_...246-wp2558.htm

By using it.
    Rather than re-typing my thoughts on this, I'm borrowing a post from MZ5 that I agree with then giving you a quote from Gale McMillan he references... Do what you wish with it.

"Barrel 'break-in' is nothing more than shooting the rifle, but cleaning much more frequently than you would normally for the first xx number of shots. Some aftermarket barrel suppliers say it's very important to do it, while others claim it's a load of hogwash. One famous barrel/rifle maker even said that the procedure was invented by his competition in the industry to increase barrel sales!

Every person has their opinion on whether it's necessary or beneficial or not. Personally, my brother and I both have observed that factory rifles (i.e. Ruger, Browning, Savage, Remington, Winchester...) will shoot better as you put rounds through them for the first xx number of shots. However, we've observed that this improvement takes place regardless whether you clean between every single shot at first, or just treat the rifle like you've owned it for years and clean it each ...whatever you usually do; each shooting session, each hundred rounds, each year ...whatever. If you don't shoot your rifle(s) all that much, then the 'break-in' procedures listed all around the 'net may help yours come up to its best potential noticeably sooner.

No matter who tells you what, there is an incontrovertible fact in play:
    Shooting a gun wears the interior surface(s) of the barrel.

Whether that wear is serving to eliminate the imperfections in the barrel and thus improving the barrel's potential for accuracy, or whether it's eroding the perfect interior surface and thus reducing the barrel's potential for accuracy is the question. And in fact, both of those things will happen at one time or another over the life of the barrel/gun. Choose accordingly." Quote MZ5

"It all got started when a barrel maker that I know started putting break-in instructions in the box with each barrel he shipped a few years ago. I asked him how he figured it would help and his reply was if they shoot 100 rounds breaking in this barrel that's total life is 3000 rounds and I make 1000 barrels a year just figure how many more barrels I will get to make."

-- Gale McMillan
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Joe O

When I asked Jim Hart,what he recommends for break in, on the 243 Ackley he built for me,he said,"just shoot it".That's all I need to know about barrel break in.The gun shoots in the 1s.Cleans quicker than anything I have ever seen.

MWalker

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    I just tried that in my backyard but I don't think it worked. My yard is more dirt so I didn't get the right sound. Also I didn't have my scope mounted yet.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    I do mine on concreate. Just ask the guys that attended at the NBRSA Briar Hail memorial match.