Thread: VLP Single Shot .223

Pastprime

VLP Single Shot .223

I just bought one of these NIB on the internet. I pick it up Tuesday. The owner had health issues and could not shoot it. He bought it early in 2011. I'm trying to find out a little about it. I see that they are discontinued. Hope there were no problem with them. I found a couple posts that say it is a model 10, others say it is a model 12. The only ones I see on the Savage website are model 12 DBM's. This one has an over size bolt handle, lamanated stock, stainless, fluted 26" barrel. So, is it a model 10 or 12? Will the model number make a difference if I order a barrel in another caliber?

Any opinions on the rifle would be appreciated. It looks like a very nice rifle. I had a Savage single shot in .223 several years ago and regretted selling it. I think it was a BV... something.

Re: VLP Single Shot .223

The Short actions: 10, 11, 12, 16 Are all identical. They have different stock, finish combinations from the factory. Same goes for the long actions.
    When Savage changes "options" the website doesn't show what was, only is. Since bolt handles, followers, stocks all interchange. It is possible that that someone put a different bolt handle on it, and added the single shot follower.
    No the model won't matter at all, as said it is an option difference. You have a "small shank barrel" so any Savage barrel with "standard" threads will screw right in.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

The Low Profile stock is a vast improvement over the older BVSS

series....as mentioned it is a small shank action....which is most common...

All you need to change is the bolt face if you want to change to the 308 family

cartidges...the barrel is 9 twist...so you can shoot 50-77 gr bullets...yes it is a

Model 12....the DBM's are the newer 12's...very good investment...s/shots are

only available in the target series at this time.....
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Pastprime

Thank you very much for the information. I will post a couple pictures when I pick it up in case there are any other bits of info I could gain.

In doing my looking for information, it crossed my mind that maybe Savage would rather sell a $1,000 plus single shot rifle than a $650 dollar single shot rifle.

gotcha

I've got a VLP .223 Rem. I love the rifle. It wears a McGowen bbl. & came w/ standard accu-trigger. Don't care much for the trigger & plan to switch to a SSS as I'm very pleased w/ one I put on a Stevens recently. By the way, nice pic of Lou Diamond Philips :D

Pastprime

Did you rebarrel it or did it come that way?

BTW, Lou's last name was Neuman until he changed it....

VLP.204

My VLP in .204 is the most accurate factory rifle I own. I get sub .005 @ 100yds quite easily with handloads!

Pete K.

Pastprime,
    I purchased the exact rifle new in 2008. It has a Nikon Monarch 6.5X20 fine cross hair and 1/8" target dot scope with 1/8" adjustments @ 100 yards. It is a heavy rifle that takes well to bench rest target shooting off a heavy rest and rear bags. I to am past prime at 67 yrs. but once you get the AO dialed out of the scope and set the focus for your distance it will shoot extremely well. If you don't hand load try the Black Hills 52 gr. Match HPs. from Fulton Armory. There are like $34.95 for fifty and very accurate at 3300 fps. When I get tired of shooting paper and am getting ready to go home, I like to put out some range golf balls on the berm @ 100. It takes about three seconds to sight them and turn them into dust with the VLP. It is rewarding to not have to try to hold for .7 or .6 moa or whatever and just blow them up quickly.
    The rifle deserves a good scope. Save up and don't skimp if possible. The VLP will out shoot you and with good glass and the right ammo can produce low moa groups as I have found.

Great rifle, good luck....

Pete K. :)

gotcha

Pastprime, I bought my action, stock & bbl @ NSS then assembled it. Mounted a 6X18 leupold that I found pretty cheap on line. For paper punchin' the 52gr Berger worked very well for me. For varminting I use the 50gr Nosler b-tip. Not quite as accurate but a whole lot cheaper. :) Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. ....... Lou Diamond Neuman....Wow it's amazing what you can learn on the Forum :D