Thread: Trying to duplicate factory .30-06 load

Sundo

Trying to duplicate factory .30-06 load

For my first reloading project I'm trying to duplicate the Federal Vital-Shok .30-06 Barnes TSX 180 gr load. I'm using once fired cases, Federal 210 primers and Barnes TSX bullets.

Does anybody know what powder Federal uses in this factory load?

Re: Trying to duplicate factory .30-06 load

No way of knowing, companies normally won't release information like that or will tell you the powder they use is not available across the counter.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

A_Gamehog

They use powders we can't buy. If they told us why would anyone buy their loads?

Other ways to duplicate a factory load. 6 Variables that I can think of.....

1).Stick or Ball powder?

2).What primer? sealed?

3.You know the case.

4).Seated length.

5).Crimped?

6) Speed, Shoot a factory load over a chrono, then look up a powder load close to the same speed.

Lots of older 30-06's were loaded with 4064.

Basic Member

all you can do is get your chronagraph out and try to match speed, then go for same accuracy you may do better with your reloads, I have never seen factory ammo I couldnt get my stuff to shoot better then just by finding that sweet spot.

dcloco

I receive excellent accuracy and very, very good speed with H4831 in my dirtyoughtsix with 180 gr Nosler BT's.

they have the equipment and facilities to mix 2 powders and get the results they want, at a cost they want.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    they have the equipment and facilities to mix 2 powders and get the results they want, at a cost they want.
    +1.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

cfvickers

I looked at Federal's website and they list that load at 2700 FPS, your results may vary but I then looked in my Barnes manual, it lists 51-55 grains of IMR4350 at 2603-2804 FPS. Their test was with a 26 inch barrel and the data is with the older barnes X. They say use the same data. They also say you should get lower pressures with the TSX than you would with the X bullet. I would bet that you will find a good match to that load at around 54 grains of IMR 4350 which is an excellent powder in the 30-06 and being one full grain below the listed maximum it should be a completely safe load. They use Federal 210 primers and a remington case. I do not recommend using Federal cases for more than four shots when reloading them. Any more is unsafe in my experience. With other cases such as remington or winchester you can expect better case life. Capacity runs a little lower with FC cases so you may reach your goal with around 53-53.5grains.

WORK UP YOUR LOAD. fire one shot with 51, 52, and 52.5. Then go to 53 and start testing your load. If you are getting good accuracy with the factory load make your OAL the same as the factory load. Either measure it or use a loaded factory round to set your seating die to the correct depth. If you do not have a chronograph shoot a group with the factory load and then start shooting your hand loads to see if or when you duplicate the point of impact. Also shoot three shot groups with each load. You may not get to the exact same point of impact but your groups may be far better at some point. If you get good results at 53 grains or more I would stick with that load as your velocity should be very close to that of the factory load and I would expect that if you seriously pay attention to detail while loading your rounds you will most likely get better groups than you do with the factory load.

Bottom line Use Fed 210 primers, and seat to the same depth as the factory load and you should duplicate the velocity at around 53-54 grains of IMR 4350. It will be well below maximum, safe, and I am betting accurate if you are using a savage rifle