Thread: BARREL CHANGING, NUT TIGHTENING,ACTION TURNS

Basic Member

BARREL CHANGING, NUT TIGHTENING,ACTION TURNS

Here's the problem. With barrel in a vise, when I get the headspace set and tighten the barrel nut, the action turns-changing = increasing headspace. Hence, I must fiddle about with and hold the headspace and nut. What is needed is a tool to hold the action from turning when tightening the nut. I've been using the BIG screwdriver. A spanner with a pin to fit in the gas escape hole in the action would do the trick. Does anyone make such a spanner? Why wouldn't such a spanner be superior to current action wrenches?
    joe b.

Aircraftmech76

Re: BARREL CHANGING, NUT TIGHTENING,ACTION TURNS

This is why I use an action block that I made from billet aluminum. It holds the action, as it's really the only thing that needs to be kept from moving; let me explain. As you tighten the barrel nut, it's going to naturally want to turn the barrel in a tightening direction. It can't do this however, because either the case or headspace gauge keeps that from happening.

Kevin

82boy

When tighting the nut, I place my hand (That is not tighting the wrench.) over the bolt handel and hold the action, that is all that is needed. You dont have to get the barrel gorrilla tight, just snug is all that is needed.

dcloco

I am with 82boy on this as well.

An action block would work as well though.

I DO add a drop of lightweight oil to both mating surfaces of the lug and on the threads of the barrel.

airaddict

Why not go to the hardware store amd get a long screw to fit the action screw hole and use it to hold the action still so u can give the nut a few sharp raps w a wooden handle to set the threads.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    Why not go to the hardware store amd get a long screw to fit the action screw hole and use it to hold the action still so u can give the nut a few sharp raps w a wooden handle to set the threads.
    Easy to distort the bottom of your action that way.

Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    BECAUSE I MIGHT STRIP OUT THE SCREW IF NOT CAREFUL AND GET REALLY MAD!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

northlander

An action wrench is designed for the rigid holding of the action when tightening or loosening the barrel nut. This is exactly what these are designed for.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander
    An action wrench is designed for the rigid holding of the action when tightening or loosening the barrel nut. This is exactly what these are designed for.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    +1

I just put a rifle together and I really didn't want to spend the money for an action wrench, but it definitely made the job easy and was well worth the money spent to ensure that the job was done right with no risk of damage to my action.
    Model 16, 7mm-08 McGowen Varmint Barrel, B&C Duramaxx Stock

Basic Member

I make my oak blocks for the action, rather than the barrel. With the headspace gauge in, or a case, I've never had a problem...Jim

dcloco

Cheap trick #4 - soft, pine 2x4. A little rosin (or talcum powder - cheap trick #12) and a vise will be your new friends. If you find yourself without an action vise, clamp the action in a vise with the soft pine.

NOTE - remove the trigger assembly. It IS possible to break it off!!!!

Hint - you can also leave the one piece scope mount base tightly affixed to the action to help prevent the action from rotating in the soft wood.