Thread: Best factory ammo selection for model 11?

cdn1

Best factory ammo selection for model 11?

Hello
    Just wondering what factory ammo you guys or girls (No reason to not think there might be some ladies on the forum) may have found that shoots the best for the model 11?
    I know it's generally about just trying different brands and shooting, but I would like to try to narrow down the selections(maybe save a bit of dough$$$ and time). Feel free to list bullet weights, if you feel it makes yours shoot better. I don't currently reload so just trying to select a good factory round.

Currently shooting .243 caliber. I have noticed a significant group size decrease just by switching to different manufacters.

IE) Was shooting Federal 80gr power shok switched to good old grey box winchester super x 80 grain and found my groups shrank by almost 3/4" in some cases. To me that is a pretty significant improvement!
    Also noticed good groupings with the pricey black box winchester supreme 55gr balistic tip loads but some shops are charge up to $55.00/bx for 20rnds
    I was thinking on trying some of the new hornady superformance to see how it flies!!
    CDN1

Basic Member

Re: Best factory ammo selection for model 11?

Anyone in the serious pursuit of accuracy is going to reload. With reloading you optimize your load for your particular gun. That load may or maybe be the optimum in the next gun you try it in, but the likely is it will not be optimum. What works for anyone else, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. You will just have to try different factory ammo. With that said, there used to be a group that repacked factory into sets of 5 of each of your choice I was told about to aid in such testing. Of course they sold it at a premium, but for $35 you could maybe try 4 different factory ammo. I seem to remember them being in Oklahoma, but can't find them on the web. They had a both at the Tulsa gunshow several years back if I remember right.

Tim