Thread: Aftermarket Extractor?

Basic Member

Aftermarket Extractor?

Is there a source for after market extractors. Mine broke and I went ahead and ordered a new extractor, spring and ball from Savage. I'm confident that I will launch the ball and spring when I replace it, so I figured it was worth the extra couple of bucks to have spares.

I've read that Savage Extractors are prone to breaking and I was curious if there is a source for a higher quality part than factory.
    Model 16, 7mm-08 McGowen Varmint Barrel, B&C Duramaxx Stock

Basic Member

Re: Aftermarket Extractor?

Mine was dinged up from a gogage (steel harder than the brass bullets and apparently harder than the extractor lip)

I bought one from Midway, I dont know if it is better than the original or not. There were a few offers here recently of members offering simple ball bearings as replacement balls (even slightly oversize ones if you search you may find the concerns related to this). I did not ever lose a spring.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member

While cleaning the gunroom looking for the ejector I found an extractor ball that shot over my shoulder two months ago. Never found the ejector. Thankfully I had a supply of the oversized balls that a member so graciously sent me.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

82boy

Sharp Shooters Supply is making an aftermarket ejector, it is a piece that will correct most ejection problems. It is well made, and is upgrade from the factory ejector. They dont show them on their web site, you have to call them or send an email.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Basic Member

To prevent loss of said parts, put bolt in a gallon ziplock bag and remove/install in it. If you slip you aint a going to loose parts in space.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd
    To prevent loss of said parts, put bolt in a gallon ziplock bag and remove/install in it. If you slip you aint a going to loose parts in space.
    Good idea.

I managed to assemble a couple of AR lowers without losing anything, but I have a couple of spare AR spring and pin kits because Murphy is alive and well in my house.
    Model 16, 7mm-08 McGowen Varmint Barrel, B&amp;C Duramaxx Stock