Thread: possible to ream a 223 to 223 wylde?

possible to ream a 223 to 223 wylde?

is it possible to ream a 223 to 223 wylde?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

Re: possible to ream a 223 to 223 wylde?

Why? Are you trying to shoot heavey bullets?

Hntbambi

You can have the throat lengthened if you want to seat heavies out farther. If and when my Criterion .223 ever cones in I will throat it for my loads with 80 gr bullets seated out there.

I want to safely shoot nato rounds in the 223 chamber,
    So I am able to buy a 223 wylde reamer and put it on a T-handle and few turns should take off enough to enlarge it to a wylde?
    on the same token, will a 5.56 reamer work too?
    Could someone pls enlighten me on how the cross sections of each compare?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Did some research and I am able to ream the 223 to either a 223 wylde or nato, called locall gunsmith and he said yes for $75

spec comparision:
    newbie from gr, mi.

Eric in NC

Well that throat angle won't tighten back up when you run the wylde reamer in the factory chamber.

If it is a Savage bolt action you will never see any problems shooting NATO ammo in the factory chamber (of course I am not reccomending you do it and I would never do it myself ). The big issue comes with gas opperated autos (ARs) with tight chambers using NATO ammo. Then you get ripped off rims etc.

I have fired thousands of mixed .223 and 5.56 Nato through Mini-14s, AR-15, M-4s, M-16s, and a Stevens 223 Bolt without a problem. I know there is a slight differemce but have never understood why people get so wrapped up in it. Not trying to be offensive just stating my thoughs and experience. Never has been a concern. The only difference I have seen is the thicker Military brass leads to higher pressures quicker when reloading max. loads.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    I have fired thousands of mixed .223 and 5.56 Nato through Mini-14s, AR-15, M-4s, M-16s, and a Stevens 223 Bolt without a problem. I know there is a slight differemce but have never understood why people get so wrapped up in it. Not trying to be offensive just stating my thoughs and experience. Never has been a concern. The only difference I have seen is the thicker Military brass leads to higher pressures quicker when reloading max. loads.
    Why do people get worked up? Because in a rifle and a Encore pistol I have 5.56 rounds will pop the primers. Did the guns blow up? No, but even I am smart enough to know "hole in primer bad".
    More shooting, less typing.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    I have fired thousands of mixed .223 and 5.56 Nato through Mini-14s, AR-15, M-4s, M-16s, and a Stevens 223 Bolt without a problem. I know there is a slight differemce but have never understood why people get so wrapped up in it. Not trying to be offensive just stating my thoughs and experience. Never has been a concern.
    Fired in a SAAMI spec .223 pressure barrel, 5.56 NATO loads have shown pressures in the 85K PSI range. That's bordering on a proof load. The good news is that most .223's made these days are not cut to SAAMI spec.
    The only difference I have seen is the thicker Military brass leads to higher pressures quicker when reloading max. loads.
    You can't make the assertion that mil brass is thicker than commercial. It varies by manufacturer completely unrelated to mil or commercial. That is why you sort by headstamp and work up loads separately for each different one.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/ Check out the case data about halfway down the page.

I understand. Good article. I just have never seen any problems like yours.
    Thanks