Thread: Stevens trigger

r29l20

Stevens trigger

My new Stevens had the worst trigger I think any of my rifles ever had. Now it's one of the best. Here's what I did. I took the trigger off, and lightly brushed off the finish of the engagement grove with 600 wet dry, till it looked shiney, then I took a flat piece of metal and wraped 600 wet dry around it and gave a few stokes to the sear. Then I polished both surfaces with Flitz, then aplyed a dab of Flitz as a lube and reassembled. That's it, no chance of messing things up. Zero preceved creep (and I'm fussy) light pull, and set the overtravel to min. Honest it works. :)

Re: Stevens trigger

Go ahead and make yourself a spring from some .043 music wire. It'll be cheap and help a lot.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member

What kind of weight pull did you end up with?

r29l20

Im not sure, but it breaks so clean and crisp. It feels light enough.

Basic Member

Nice well i think ill give it a try tonight. sounds like there is little danger in messing to much stuff up. cheaper than getting a whole new trigger, and worth the time

r29l20

Good luck, let me know how it works for ya. :)

When I bought the wife her 200 the trigger was horrible. Took it apart and cleaned allot of the brown crap out of it oiled it and made a few snips of springs and its a nice trigger now.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by txbdyguard
    ...and made a few snips of springs and its a nice trigger now.
    Please explain. All of the Stevens I have seen were "wire form" springs. Are you saying you snipped the OE spring or made a new one?

Basic Member

In This FAQ forum its explained
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19414.0.html

This part right here gives me questions: NOTE: The trigger is made of sintered metal. Filing or otherwise removing some of the surface of the sear notch will expose softer metal under the hard surface and make the notch more prone to premature wear, eventually leading to more creep and/or a sloppy trigger pull. If the notch is worn or damaged, buy a new trigger. Or upgrade to a better aftermarket trigger!

But in the end he states:
    Very light stoning of the sear mating surface of the trigger can be performed to lessen a notchy or gritty feel to the trigger pull. Extreme care must be taken here as this is a surface hardened piece, so the less stoning you do the better. If you wear through the surface hardening the part will need to be rehardened or it will wear. Also, you do not want to alter the mating angle, the goal here is to simply smooth out the mating surface which the sear contacts.

So how do you re harden the surface to avoid quick wear?

va243hntr

You can also use a wire from an old spinner bait ( I can't remember where I read that its not my idea but it works) gets the trigger down to around 3 LBS or so which for me is fine for a hunting rig

rb4123

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by txbdyguard
    ...and made a few snips of springs and its a nice trigger now.
    Please explain. All of the Stevens I have seen were "wire form" springs. Are you saying you snipped the OE spring or made a new one?
    Just picked up my new Stevens and it had a coil spring in the trigger.

Basic Member

rb4123 could you post a pic of the trigger?
    I have never seen a coil spring on a Steven either.
    I wonder when Savage did that? Hope an aftermarket will still fit.

scottnchrissy

I just picked up a Stevens rifle too. It had the coil spring and I was able to swap in an accutrigger with little problem. I had to change the safety adjustment screw. The one on the accutrigger wasn't adjustable.

rb4123

Here are a couple pictures of my trigger.

When I took a close look at the trigger return spring, it looked like the top coil was turne upwards as a means to locate the springin a hole in the trigger housing. That makes me not want to clip the coil like others are doing to their axis. On a side nt does anyone know where I could buy an accutrigger for less than an aftermarket replacement? Or for that matter any new factory parts (besides brownells or mdway)?

***EDIT/UPDATE**

Here is the trigger spring. I don't want to cut it since it has the little bend at the end that locates it in the receiver.

j.primo

I bought my Stevens 200 last year, it had the "now older" trigger. That looks totally different from mine. Have you searched to see if there are new aftermarket triggers or maybe the older ones still fit?

Those look like edge/axis triggers. Are they putting those in Stevens 200s now?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

rb4123

From looking at it, all current aftermarket triggers should work with little problem. Personally I do not want to pay $70+ for a replacement trigger.