Thread: Marlin's 7 round .22WMR/17HMR magazine used in a Savage 93R17 TR?

stainless45

Marlin's 7 round .22WMR/17HMR magazine used in a Savage 93R17 TR?

Hello ALL...

Please tell me if anyone has used (with slight modifications) this Marlin magazine, while shooting in a Savage 17HMR?? I am purchasing a model 93R17 TR, and hopefully it will be at the FFL dealer tomorrow 11/18/2011.
    I know I read (somewhere?) that with slight modifications that it will fit & function, in both feeding & ejection of the 17HMR rounds.

Please respond - ASAP, as I just purchased one magazine @ Wal-Mart for $13.95 - and there are two more left on the rack!

Thanks - in advance, to any / all answers. BTW: I will post picks of the rifle, as soon as I get her together with her scope...

Jim (stainless45)

Basic Member

Re: Marlin's 7 round .22WMR/17HMR magazine used in a Savage 93R17 TR?

No idea. But it may be a worthwhile avenue considering the modifications some have to do to get the savage magazines to work properly.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

stainless45

Just a FYI, to ANYONE wanting to know my question asked above - yes it does work!!! By trial / error I slowly ground down (with a Dremel & also a bench grinder) the top front of the magazine to mimic the shape of a factory 5 round Savage magazine. Test fit after test fit & it allowed me to load 7 rounds into the mag - insert the mag into the action & slowly work the bolt to load & eject the rounds. I have since been to the range and have loaded / shot the 7 rounds out of the Marlin mag that was inserted into my Savage 93R17 TR model. NO modifications were made to the Savage's receiver... I have also purchased two of the 17HMRMAG.com magazines, and the function of the 10 rounders are great.

janizary

Sounds interesting. If you could post a few pics with measurements other users would probably be grateful for your efforts!

Basic Member

Glad to here that you braved it and chose to see if you could make it work. Do the marlin magazines clip into the action well?? I had a problem with my savage. Any light pressure to it (magazine release) and it would drop the magazine.
    And yea pictures would be awesome!!!
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

stainless45

Sorry to all, there will be no pictures...
    I am one of those guys that starts a project, and half way thru it - says damn wish I would have taken some pictures of at least before and after - let alone DURING!!!

If I decide to do another magazine, I will try my hardest to document it! If you have ANY mechanical abilities & a bench grinder - YOU can do this!! I destroyed the first attempt, by grinding TOO much off, then the second one I took off less & it worked. If I can find the time & will take some pics & post them of the finished product. I did use some hi-temp Black BBQ paint on the ground-off areas, so hopefully you will be able to see in the pics!

IF your Savage has some age on it - you could just open up the receiver / loading port area slightly - with a Dremel tool OR small hand file - I didn't, as it was a BRAND NEW - weapon!!!

Jim