Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Case

mil-dot

Stuck Case

I have been reloading for about 3 years now. I have never stuck a case until this year, I have stuck 2 now. I just packaged the Redding for shipment.

I'm not doing anything different. I clean the brass, the dies are clean, I spray a little lube in the die and lube the cases. Before I could just breeze through all the cases and resize them no problems.

Last night I did all that and BAMMM!!!! the first case stuck.

I usually over all size, trim, clean primer pocket neck size and reload. After I once fire the brass I only neck size, but I am out of once fired....

I'm about to pull my freaking hair out..... ??? ??? ???

Jesse

Basic Member

Re: Stuck Case

Start using Imperial sizing wax. IMHO it is the best you can get.

mil-dot

Redding ships a small amount back with the die once fixed. I'll try it.

Are you currently using Hornady One-Shot aerosol lube?

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut
    Are you currently using Hornady One-Shot aerosol lube?
    I use Hornady One Shot, and have had stuck cases. What's your opinion?

I stopped using it after my third stuck case. I think it's inconsistent at best. If you try to use it too soon after spraying, while it's still wet, you will likely have problems; that's when mine stuck. I switched to RCBS case lube and lube pad, and never stuck another one.

BTW, the RCBS stuck case puller works well.

kdvarmint

Sometimes convenience can be inconvenient. I have considered switching but wasn't sure exactly sure what caused the trouble. The One-Shot is what "Sticks" in my mind though.

Trent

Imperial Sizing Wax. Takes VERY little to do the job. Lasts a LONG time. It flat out just WORKS!

It's pretty slippery. Might have other uses. ;D

I use Chem-Pac, inc "Size-All" for everyday work and "Imperial Sizing Wax" when I am reforming cases. Have never had a case stuck with either. Only used one can of Hornady, did not care for it. Only cases I have stuck are the ones I did not lube for some reason or other. BUT... I also clean the cases with walnut first and then clean them again in corncob to get the oil or wax back off. This dose add time and work to the process.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint

Me too.

Now I only use Imperial Sizing Wax. With the wax, it's easy to make 308 brass from 30-06. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint

Me too.

Now I only use Imperial Sizing Wax. With the wax, it's easy to make 308 brass from 30-06. ;D
    +1 I have not had a stuck case since I started using Imperial .

gotcha

I've used all the case lubes mentioned................ Didn't know what I was missing 'til I tried astroglide. 50 BMG to 17 Hornet in one easy pass. Don't get strawberry, It's a little too pungent.

mil-dot

I always used RCBS spray lube. I never could follow the instructions, if I let the lube dry, it would get almost stuck every time. I recently went to Hornady one shot. I sprayed the case down, let it dry and WHAM!!! stuck.

I'll try the wax and hope it works.

Jesse

SMK Shoe

One shot is awful stuff now. Few years ago it worked ok but the last three years the formula must have changed. Seems the can is only full of the aresol. Stuck a couple of cases with it and then the can went in the trash. Ben using imperial ever since and love the stuff. One can will last a loooooooong time.

Basic Member

RCBS case lube and a pad. Only cases i have stuck are when i got in a hurry and forgot to roll them on the pad. Size them then wipe them off with an old tee shirt.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

STP works well too.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    I've used all the case lubes mentioned................ Didn't know what I was missing 'til I tried astroglide. 50 BMG to 17 Hornet in one easy pass. Don't get strawberry, It's a little too pungent.
    WOW ! ???????:)

irondog54

Clean your dieswith brake parts cleaner. spray interior of diei with 100% silicone spray. Don't use spray case lube, use wax or tube lubes..

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by earl39
    RCBS case lube and a pad. Only cases i have stuck are when i got in a hurry and forgot to roll them on the pad. Size them then wipe them off with an old tee shirt.
    Same here, and that's with 35yrs of loading time under my belt. Stuck ONE case, my fault, didn't lube enough. RCBS cleared the die, polished it up, sent it back, along with a brand new die to go with it.

Grit #1

If you have to use a spray, try the Dillon spray lube. I have be using it for years. I dump my brass, several hundred at a time into a clean cardboard box, then spray and shake a couple of times and let dry. I have never stuck a case using it. When I am loading for long range work I still use the Imperial. I just keep my right hand fingers covered with a really light film and twist the case in my fingers before it goes into the die. If you get shoulder dents you are using WAY to much.
    Best regards,
    Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Grit #1
    When I am loading I use the Imperial. I just keep my right hand fingers covered with a really light film and twist the case in my fingers before it goes into the die. If you get shoulder dents you are using WAY to much.

+1 I have used it for 4 or 5 years and I only lube the case body and neck not the shoulder.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by Grit #1
    If you have to use a spray, try the Dillon spray lube. I have be using it for years. I dump my brass, several hundred at a time into a clean cardboard box, then spray and shake a couple of times and let dry. I have never stuck a case using it. When I am loading for long range work I still use the Imperial. I just keep my right hand fingers covered with a really light film and twist the case in my fingers before it goes into the die. If you get shoulder dents you are using WAY to much.
    Best regards,
    Grit
    Yep, that is exactly how I do it with the Imperial.

I've been thinking about buying some of the Dillon spray for use on .223 through the progressive press.

fullmag

Ironic, I've been reloading for about 5 years now using a lube pad last week I started loading for .243 set up new hornady die, sprayed brass down with one shot, let dry and started sizing, after about 3 bam stuck case my first ever.
    Removed case cleaned die started over, it did it 2 more times so I switched to a new rcbs die and same result, Wtf?
    Figured out that if I super saturated the brass from all four sides and let dry it worked well and no more problems.
    Worst part was removing brass galling from inside of die.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by fullmag
    Ironic, I've been reloading for about 5 years now using a lube pad last week I started loading for .243 set up new hornady die, sprayed brass down with one shot, let dry and started sizing, after about 3 bam stuck case my first ever.
    Removed case cleaned die started over, it did it 2 more times so I switched to a new rcbs die and same result, Wtf?
    Figured out that if I super saturated the brass from all four sides and let dry it worked well and no more problems.
    Worst part was removing brass galling from inside of die.
    Take that can of One-Shot out with you next time you go shooting and shoot the dang thing! That would be the best use of it. Haha.

bowhunter42

been using rcbs case lube and pad for over 25 years and have had only 2 stuck cases, just because I got in a hurry, I usually resize first then throw the brass into the vibrator cleaner and let the media clean the lube off. I also clean my dies about once a month, I do alot of reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast