Thread: FP-10 Upgrade, by who??

holeshot308

FP-10 Upgrade, by who??

Going to have my FP-10 Choate .308 Win. overhauled, has the accu-trigger already so what I'm looking at is getting the action timed and trued. Also want a new recoil lug installed and the the barrel headspaced. Like the bolt fluting by Sharp Shooters Supply and will have this done also if they're the ones I send the rifle to. Question about bedding the Choate stock, it has two aluminum pillar blocks so is bedding actually necessary? Savage Gunsmithing does what they call "Savage Flex-Stiffing" where they fill the fore-end with accra-glass and a small piece of steel tubing to prevent flexing of the stock. I think I'm getting a migrane trying to figure all of this out!! What I need is a little "accurizing 101". Realistically speaking IF this was your rifle WHO would you trust to do the best job of blueprinting it out???

r29l20

Re: FP-10 Upgrade, by who??

I would trust Fred at SSS. :)

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    +1, worth the piece of mind to have it done right from the get go.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by holeshot308
    ........fill the fore-end with accra-glass and a small piece of steel tubing to prevent flexing of the stock.
    This is not need with the heavey Choate. AS far as bolt fluting and timing and truing, SSS is the place I would go.
    More shooting, less typing.

holeshot308

Thanks for the feedback, kind of figured SSS would be the way to go. Got my in stock notification from Midway yesterday on the TPS steel 20 moa base, got one coming. Now all I need to do is remember where I stashed my iron so I can heat up the Warne base and get it off the Savage(nice thing about being single, you can use the iron for everything else but ironing clothes!!). Still waiting to see just what Bushnell is going to do about the Millett scope I sent in with the crosshair problem. So guess I'll get ahold of SSS and get my rifle on their waiting list. The Savage has the 26" barrel on it and I think that I'm going to have SSS cut it back and install their muzzle brake on it where it will still be at 26" oal ( that's what I've got the Pelican case cut out for anyway). Also going to let them cut the "fishnet" pattern in the bolt. Thought about getting the barrel fluted but I've deer hunted the last three years with the Savage and really with a good padded sling it's not that uncomfortable to carry. The only thing that I'd like to change is that the rifle only loads from the top, does anyone make a conversion to a drop box magazine for this. If they do I guess that I've just missed it somehow. Not really that big of a deal since 5 rds. is the max for hunting. Thanks again!! Holeshot 308

If your action is a centerfeed action(4.400 screw spacing), then SSS will also inlet your stock for a factory detachable mag system for about $50. Then you could either buy the bottom metal new or find it here in our classifieds.

-For a Choate stock you dont really need to bed it, but a skim bed just to fill in the gaps wouldnt hurt anything and is easy to do.
    - As far as the forearm thingy that the other place does, dont waste your time or money. Your Choate is plenty stiff enough. And even if it was a factory stock, stiffening the forearm will help some but the cheapo staocks main flex point is under the recoil lug, so unless they are stiffenening that as well you would be better off to just buy a better stock.

-For T&T'ing an action, SSS is the only one I know of that times an action. All others basically just true the face of the action and the boltface, and polish the feedramps to smooth it up some(basically like you'd do to a remmy action).
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

holeshot308

Thanks for the info on the magazine, will let SSS do this while they've got the rifle. Top loading with the Warne base means you are going to wind up with a bloody thumb. Should have taken the Dremel to it to begin with. Anyway the Warne is history, got a TPS 20 moa one piece steel base coming from Midway that should get here in a couple of days. IF it has edges over the loading port sharper than my Kershaw Knives it will go under the Dremel and get rounded off even with the magazine conversion. When I'm at the range I usually just load a single round instead of filling up the mag anyway.

RCSavager

I'd love to hear updates as things progress. I have the Choate .308 FPC from Cabela's too and about to get it outfitted for the first time. I was about to get the base you're taking off. Seems that IF you would've taken a dremel to it then it would've been fine? I'll check on the new one you're getting too for sure. I'm also considering the Millet LRS-1 so also interested in hearing what happens with that too. Hell, we're almost brothers from a different mother in gun choice. Keep us updated man and best of luck! 8)

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    +2 SSS does top notch work.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.