Thread: Most accurate .22 without being a Match etc rifle made?

syclone01

Most accurate .22 without being a Match etc rifle made?

I haven't been into .22s in a while but i know the mk2's are accurate right out of the box for most applications. I've got a friend looking for something to buy, he doesn't mind spending money on a nice gun that will be very accurate out of the box. I told him for the money a mk2 is hard to beat, but if you were going to spend a little more money, let's say 400-600 total for just a gun what would you guys recommend? How are the CZ's compared to the mk2's?? He doesn't want some large heavy match style gun like my Suhl, just something that he will prob put a nice scope on and shoot some gongs out at the range. Thanks for any info.

Eric in NC

Re: Most accurate .22 without being a Match etc rifle made?

Would take a CZ over the Savages any day of the week. Accuracy is just a little bit better (my opinion) but the CZ is a much better rifle in terms of fit/finish/looks/design/feel if that makes sense (more like a minature Mauser).

The CZs with the set triggers also give you an excellent trigger out of the box.

syclone01

any particular model betr? 452, 453 445??

Eric in NC

The 453 has the set trigger, not sure the new switch barrel 455 has the set trigger. Haven't held or shot one of the 455's but the switch barrel idea is interesting if it doesn't hurt accuracy and has repeatable headspace etc.

Senderofan

I like the idea of the CZ's....Would also throw in Cooper Arms of Montana....maybe Anschutz...perhaps Kimber if they still make one.

Too many great firearms to dream of....so little $$$ or time.

Wayne

How bout a CHEAP target rifle I payed $98.00 for a Mossberg 144LS and would clean the Prone, Keeling, Sitting in club 50 ft matches every week with this rifle offhand was another question ?

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    How bout a CHEAP target rifle I payed $98.00 for a Mossberg 144LS and would clean the Prone, Keeling, Sitting in club 50 ft matches every week with this rifle offhand was another question ?
    OP didn't want a dedicated target rifle like the 144. Love my CMP 44 but my CZs will smoke it - maybe the 144s are better or just less worn?

Basic Member

My LH CZ 452 is a much better rifle than any Savage 22 I have ever seen. In semi autos, my vote goes to the Thompson-Center R55 Benchmark. Not made anymore but still can be found. You would have to pour a ton of money into a Ruger 10-22 to come close to the TC
    laportecharlie

syclone01

i've seen the TC, but i think he wants a bolt action.

Eric in NC

Only "mildly" annoying thing about the CZs is that the safety is backward from almost other guns - quick to learn and not as much of a PITA as some (M1 carbine!) but it is different.

Pleanty of hints/tips/input on rimfirecentral.com

Basic Member

CZ 452 or 453 with whatever stock and barrel you like. The 453's set trigger is nice, but you can cheaply and easily get the 452's down to a pound or less also. The only caveat is that some rifles won't put the cold bore shot anywhere near the next few shots (my 452 Varmint is one of them). That's a deal-breaker for hunting, but for targets it really doesn't matter.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

syclone01

anybody have any experience with the sako finnfire, or p94s?

cheap22

I have an CZ 452 and a Savage MKII BTV and a Savage FV love the all.But the BTV will out shoot the CZ any day of the week.The FV will shoot just as good as the CZ.The BTV has shoot 230+ in USBR custom class,the only thing that has been done to it is O-rings on it as a tuner. ,and lowered the trigger as low as it would go.Which is lucky for me is 1lb.And they all like Wolf ME and CCI-SV.

kingfish15

Yes Cheap22, I was thinking the same thing. My BSEV will shoot with any CZ made and it is dam near as good as my KIDD 10/22 on an Boyds EVO stock, same stock as the one on the BSEV, just a different color. The BSEV will play with most CZs, but it cannot play with the KIDD. But I haven't seen anything else that will play with the KIDD when the shooter has a good day. It is a consistent sub 1/2 MOA in my hands (on a real good day) and probably a 1/4 MOA shooter in the hands of a 1/4 MOA shooter. Love those 22s and 17s. It should be illegal to have that much fun standing up.

scnewt

+1 for the CZ rifles. My brother has a 452 and it is very accurate and unique compared to all other .22 bolt guns. The sights are great although my brother did put a scope on his. If you do put a scope on the 452 you have to get high rings just to clear the factory rear sight. It's a little hefty and pricey for a .22 though.

dnsmith

I've got the savage mkII FV. out of the box, it had a crooked barrel (visibly crooked in the stock, looks weird), magazine wouldn't hold bullets, and it has a fat, squarish, clunky pistol grip. it shoots CCI SV's like a house on fire. ragged hole groups at 50 yds. so, i got a replacement magazine for it (which works great), and called it good. love it

also have remington 504-T. it will outshoot the savage by a narrow margin, and only with match ammo. it shoots CCI SV's like crap.

i always have my eye on one of those CZ 452 varmints. one of these days i'll spring for it, and then i'll have a trifecta of sorts.

tloehrke

I have a mkII BV that i use in local IBS 50 competion and it shoots as well as several of the boys shooting annies and suhls. 245+ with 10x and often 248 and 249 out of possible 250. It has had nothing done to it but lightening up the trigger pull and add a benchrest adapter to the forend.

fyimo

I've been doing research on this very subject and I'm leaning towards the CZ American 452 instead of the 455 because the combo 455 isn't what I'm looking for. One reason is when you switch between the calibers I'm sure you would have to do a scope adjustment to get the right POA. I'm also thinking that the 22LR is a lot cheaper to run ammo wise then the 17HMR and if I'm wrong about this fact I'd like to hear about it. This isn't going to be a hunting rifle but just a paper puncher at the range. I do my varmint hunting with a Browning A bolt in 223 or a CZ American 550 in 22-250.

Basic Member

52 winchester
    52B Browning
    classic kimber .22
    541 Remington
    NS 522 sporter
    ruger77/22
    Rem sportsmaster 512

Heres a few more to make the decision more difficult.lol. Lots of accurate .22's out there, Ive got a Marlin 25 and 883 that shoots lights out, and a 514 rem that I paid $20 for that I shoot push pins with at 50yds all day. You dont have to pay alot for a 22 to have an accurate one

dksac2

The Savage can be easily modified, the CZ can't.
    I had my Savage accurized by a great smih and it improved the accuracy even more. (not SSS)
    My Savage will shoot with or outshoot a CZ anyday. As to the Kidd, if you wnt to spend that kind of money on a 10-22, go ahead, it will cost you 3 times as much. It's not even a 10-22 anymore.

My Best, John

bigdaddy13

I have a Remington 552 that is a tack driver. At 50 yards through rifle sights dime size groups are not a problem.I also have a Savage 64 with a cheap 4x32 scope that is a real nice shooter.Others to consider,Marlin 60,Mossberg 702 all are good accurate guns.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by dksac2
    The Savage can be easily modified, the CZ can't.
    Why do you say that? What can you mod on a Savage that you can't on a CZ?

dksac2

I think either the Savage or CZ would be a great choice.

The one thing I like about the Savage is that more accessories are available and mOST will shoot with a CZ or can easily be made to do so.

You are going to have a much wider choice of scope mounts as well as stocks with the Savage. I know sometimes I like to change styles of stocks. The CZ's do have the nicer stock of the two.

You will save money on accessories also, sometimes quite a bit, this is something to think of for future changes you may wish to make.
    Either will be a good choice.

My Best, John K

noelfr

Had a 453 Varmint. Nice rifle. My Savage w/ UM1 ammo outshot it. With Remington Sub Sonics out shot it. Traded CZ.