Thread: MK1 22 lr single shot

cl300

MK1 22 lr single shot

Friend bought one of these and the bolt is hard to lift and close. Noticed the same thing when I was in Dick's trying another Savage rimfire bolt gun. Will the bolt loosen up? Also, any advantage to the single shot? The barrel is not a heavy/varmint.

dksac2

Re: MK1 22 lr single shot

The bolt will loosen when it wears in a little. They get pretty nice all by themselves with some break in.

There is a slight advantage to the single shot, the action is a little stiffer because it does not have the magazine cut out.
    The single shots also get rid of the bullets that slightly shave when being chambered from a magazine, extra accuracy to be had due to lack of bullet damage. Most don't get shaved, but every once in a while they do, could stop a small flyer.

If you are thinking about getting one, spend the extra money and get the bull barrel, they shoot much better than the sporter barrels do.

I'm a retired smith and have worked on many, they are good rifles. I have a BRJ model and put peep sights on it. They are removable, I love shooting the peep sights more than a scope.

My Best, John K

rtails

I just purchased a MK l single shot for my 7 years old grandson. We put a bushnell dot scope and a Boyd evolution stock on it. We went to the range today and he had a blast. It was the first time he has shot a .22 and to my surprise shot very well. Looks like I've got a new shooting partner.

dksac2

If you use the peep sights and teach the young ones to use them, you are doing them a huge favor.
    Most 22 comps use the peeps and if you have not used them they can be accurate as can be, I love shooting them, don't use a scope much anymore.

I even drilled the action of my BRJ, put an adapter and a williams sight on it, got a clamp on front globe sight, now I can shoot it with the scope or the peeps, with QD rings, it only take minutes to change between the two.

Teach the kids to crawl before walking, the peeps are the best way to start the young one's then work up to a scope.

If you have not used them with a good globe site on the front, they will shoot small one hole groups at 25 Yds and I shoot about 1/2" groups at 50, I just need more practice and I'll tighten the 50 yd groups.

My Best, John