Thread: Todays coyote.

Basic Member

Todays coyote.

Today I had planned a new spot at 5am...body said stay in bed, so I did, must of needed some sleep-in time....hahah
    Well heck I decide to make some after 2pm sets closer to home after I get up.
    This is a new spot with miles & miles of open range & rolling hills/ deep sweeping gullies as well as some deep canyons full of brush. Railroad tracks run around it on north & south sides & my engineer pal always sees coyotes in the area....LOTs of them.
    1st stand 600 yards near the opening of steep canyons west of the truck I hid by some old cattle barns & trees by the bottom land creek. I set Primos Turbo Dogg out with mojo, locate howls/invites then to wailing rabbits with me backing up with mouth calls.....NOT a sound from anyplace...gave up after almost 1hr.
    I know they are in the area and am trying to pull them down the creek that runs the valley into the gullies.
    I hit the truck, drop the e-caller and mojo off, and walk 300 yards east of it, up a small knoll and set up in front of a ton of old barbed wireing on rolls, piled w/snow, perfect blend in spot.
    I start off with my mouth call low with a locate howl, then into a long female invite then in tandom with the verminater syco tweety....build up into a death frenzy with screaming rabbit and barking/growling...eating feast. Movement at 600 yards down the creek near some trees...scope it and see coyote on the fast track...its gone that fast...Hmm where did it go I cannot track or see it. It is downwind from me & alight breeze to it also.
    About 36 seconds later I whine/whimper.....POW!...darn coyote is 40' in front of me WHERE did he come from???
    Oh crud...I forgot to chamber a round when I sat down...I am still as a pillar, it looks to the side...I chamber a round very swiftly and quietly. It looks at me trying to make me out, I move ever so slow to bring the gun up...it looks off I put the dot on it...it trotts away 10 yards on the cattle
    trail I chirp, it stops....BOOOM. DRT Savage 6x45 65g vmax does it again. I will never know if it heard me when I did my 1st set just a hair up the road.
    33lbs on my scale & fur is so nice.
    He had an empty stomach when I checked after skinning.

digger11

Re: Todays coyote.

Great story and I love the pic too.Kind of cold there?

Basic Member

That's a big coyote! Good story.

Basic Member

Good job......another dead coyote !
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member

Big Dog Down !!!

Well Done !!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by digger11
    Kind of cold there?
    It was in the mid 20s that afternoon....not that bad