Thread: considering a 375H&H barrel, options

Basic Member

considering a 375H&H barrel, options

Numrich has factory barrels for a price I can be happy with, but they have the threads for the factory muzzlebrake. It is stated that a thread protector is included but I searched their sight and can not find a factory muzzlebrake (I have bad success navigating their database). Some options I have are as follows

buy and shoot with thread protector as is.

I have a factory muzzlebrake on a 300rum, I guess I could swap this when I change barrels.
    is the thread for a factory brake 9/16x28 something that would work with other aftermarket muzzlebrakes?

or, I could leave well enough alone and not buy another barrel that I dont have time to shoot. But the 375 is a granddaddy and I am a sucker for chamberings with history.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Eric in NC

Re: considering a 375H&H barrel, options

Or cut the threads off and don't worry about a break at all - don't have one on mine.

Basic Member

That barrel has a 5/8-28 thread on it, NOT 9/16-28. The thread protector is ugly, I made my own brake for mine. You could cut it off and recrown also. For the price it's a good barrel. Beware that your brake off your 300 probly has too small of hole in it for the 375, that could get ugly :'(
    &quot;Michigan&#39;s DNR system is the biggest threat to it&#39;s whitetail herd&quot;<br />&quot; Forget Smith and Wesson, our house is protected by Holland and Holland&quot;

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradB
    That barrel has a 5/8-28 thread on it, NOT 9/16-28. The thread protector is ugly, I made my own brake for mine. You could cut it off and recrown also. For the price it's a good barrel. Beware that your brake off your 300 probly has too small of hole in it for the 375, that could get ugly :'(
    Thought of that after I was done brainstorming ideas. Opps.

Did you buy one of the barrels from Numrich? Do you have a better photo of the thread protector before you replaced it? Does or has the barrel had open sights, I saw a picture of the safari express gun and it had the sights on the barrel.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member

Yes, I bought a barrel. No open sights. The thread protector is ugly with a hole going through it pependicular to the bore and is not stainless.
    &quot;Michigan&#39;s DNR system is the biggest threat to it&#39;s whitetail herd&quot;<br />&quot; Forget Smith and Wesson, our house is protected by Holland and Holland&quot;

Mbarnes72

Love the caliber, everyone needs one if you reload. Amazingly versatile reloads and not punishing at all with factory on/off brake. My factory barrel shoots moa easily from 235gr tsx to 300 solids. Won't be getting rid of mine, ever.

Basic Member

thanks for the headsup on the thread protector. Seems it would have been just as easy to make one out of matching material as not.

The decision may be hinging upon if I want to eventually use a brake, then this would be a reasonable barrel to start with, if not, then maybe an aftermarket barrel (Shaw maybe) would not be much more expensive than cleaning up the barrel from Numrich. Are there any sources for the factory selectable break for 375 cal, I like the feature on the 300rum.