Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110, 3 position safety question, new member

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    guitar1580

Savage 110, 3 position safety question, new member

Hi all, New member here from West Virginia. Mostly a revolver nut, but have been wanting a nice deer rifle, and have decided on a .270, and just found a good deal on a Savage 110. I read lots of good reviews about the accuracy and dependability of this model. Mine does not have the detachable magazine, or the accu trigger setup.

I haven't determined the actual year of manuf. yet, but hoping to do it here. (do we still PM Mr. Mad Dog to get it?) The seller thought the gun is approx 6 to 12 yrs old, and has been used very little. I did not get the owners manual with it, but did read a little about the 3 postion safety - forward is off, back is full on, and middle blocks the trigger but allows the bolt to be opened.

So my problem is that I've just gotten the gun home, and checking it out quickly (unloaded only, as I live in town), and it appears that the safety is possibly not functioning properly. In the full rear position, the bolt is locked, but once I unlock it and cock the bolt back and forward, and reset the safety to the middle or back position, I'm still able to dry fire the rifle in any of the 3 positions.

Could someone tell me if there's something I'm not doing correctly? Does the rifle have to be loaded for the safety to work properly? I wouldn't think so. If it is a malfunction, does anyone know if it's a common problem, and if it's expensive to repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JP

bamf_shadow

Re: Savage 110, 3 position safety question, new member

That is a very dangerous situation. I am sure someone will offer some instructions on tinkering with the safety, use that advice at your own risk. I would suggest one of two things: either call Savage (very good customer service) or take it to a QUALIFIED gunsmith for repair. Any cost is worth a safe firearm!

kdvarmint

Gunsmith without a doubt. If you have to ask if your not doing something right with something basic, you probably don't want to "tinker" with it. Trust a professional and be SURE. It is the most important function on a hunting rifle. I don't mean to sound arrogant as I'm not a gunsmith, this is what I would advise myself in this situation. Hope it is a simple problem, and you have good success.

kd.

hcpyro13

I'm assuming you have a 3 screw trigger, I believe you can adjust the safety with the action out of the stock. I installed a SSS trigger and had to do it, it only took a couple minutes. Hopefully somebody with more experience can chime in soon. Also search, there are some detailed instructions for 3 screw triggers on this forum.

-Jake

hcpyro13

Team Savage

I have wondered about the Savage safety too. As near as I can see it only blocks the trigger, not the firing pin like the old M70 or Mauser. Is that correct? I have been telling the lady who is shooting one of my Savages to carry the gun with shells in the mag but the bolt closed on a empty chamber and when she gets to the stand to chamber a round, but not close the bolt all the way. I do the same thing. Actually I do not even use the safety! One must remember that the safety is only used in conjunction with safe gun handling. This is the only flaw I see in the 110 style action.

guitar1580

Thanks guys. That link to the article looks great. I'm going to try to make those adjustments myself and see how it goes. Will update.

JP

guitar1580

Thanks for the link Jake, it solved my problem. Unfortunately, my gun does not have the sear adjusting screw on the trigger, like the one in the article, so that must be something that was eliminated on my model, but I was quickly able to see that the screw for the safety was backed out too far. I adjusted the trigger pull and the safety adjusting screw, and all 3 positions of the safety work properly now... also loctited the screws. I think the safety issue could be the reason that the seller sold me a like new gun for dirt cheap. Thanks a million.

JP

LabRat2k3

Guitar, glad you got everything lined out. What part of the state are you in? I'm down about the Raleigh/Summers county line on the New River.

guitar1580

Hi Lab, I've been camping down that way before, but I live way up in the northern panhandle, Wheeling. Turning into frack hell around here, what about down there?

JP

hcpyro13

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've heard of 2 screw triggers before, you can make most of the adjustments but not the sear engagement. Keep us posted about your rifle, welcome to the madness that is the barrel nut.

-Jake

kdvarmint

Good deal. Hope it's a shooter!

guitar1580

Thx guys. Heheh, barrel nut madness huh.... well it's my first Savage, and the reviews I looked up seemed to say alot of good things about the barrel nut, accuracy, etc... so anything you wanna educate me on, or info that you feel like directing me to, I'm all ears, and appreciate the info.

The guy I got it from was an older fellow, a deer hunter, and said he had the scope dialed in, & I think he said he was doing 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I mentioned getting a better scope eventually, and he seemed to think it's dead on as is for deer. It's a Simmons 3 x 9, adjustable, made in China, probably came with the package deal when the gun was new.

I'm liking the gun alot already. Itchin' to shoot it.

JP

hcpyro13

Hey, just don't forget these threads are worthless without pictures!

-Jake

guitar1580

Here are a few pics I had gotten from the seller. I may mask off the checkering and polish out the wood to a higher gloss. Still determining the age of it, going to call Savage on Mon. It's approx 6 to 10 yrs old, but barely used. There is one scratch on the other side of the forearm, not too deep. JP

The scope and rings looks like the set up used on the package guns. It would be wise to replace that set up with something of better quality.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Good looking rifle you got there.
    You Done good!!

How does it shoot for you?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

guitar1580

Thanks sha. It shoots great and the safety is fine now. The seller told me he had it sighted in for 100 yards. I've only had a chance to fire it a couple of shots. I hit a gallon jug of water at 100 yards, then hit the tattered jug again as it lay on the ground .... and that was with no bench, just sitting with elbows on knees. My friend missed once, then hit his jug. 3 out of 4 seemed decent to me, I wouldnt be afraid to take it hunting as is. I polished out the stock also, there are some pics of it in another thread. Very happy with the Savage.
    Josh P

ellobo

Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floated. Check for copper in the barrel. Some Savages do copper up badly until they have been shot enough to smooth out. Most Savages shoot better with a dirty barrel. Eventual you will need to clean it as accuracy drops off. Thats a birch stock by the way. Perfectly usabale for a cheap hunting rifle. Soon as you can get some better optics. Those package gun scopes dont last long. Congrats on a good hunting rifle find.

El Lobo

guitar1580

What do you mean by "free floated" ?

JP

ellobo

free floated means no part of the barrel or tang is touching the stock. If the barrel is, you can tell by passing a dollar bill down the length of the barrel to find out. Tang too. If it is touching, try loosening the mounting screws of the action, place a pc. of card stock from a pack of matches around the barrel and retighten the screws. That may center the barrel in the stock. remove the card stock and tighten again. If that doesnt work you may have to sand out the barrel and seal the bare wood. Wood stocks do warp at times depending on humidity.

El Lobo

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    The scope and rings looks like the set up used on the package guns. It would be wise to replace that set up with something of better quality.
    GaCop, I agree with the scope but do you think they would use Warne Rings on a package gun? They are the cheap permanent ones but still..?

Werewolf

Those look like leupold rifleman vertical rings. Warnes have four screws, I have a set.

The Screws

Hey man, I was actually working on the same gun not to long ago. All you really need to do is a just the 2 screws in the back of the trigger and the bottom of the safety so it lays flat. Hope this helps!!

-TJ

Hopefully He figured it out cause the original post was 12 years ago…lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast