Hi all, New member here from West Virginia. Mostly a revolver nut, but have been wanting a nice deer rifle, and have decided on a .270, and just found a good deal on a Savage 110. I read lots of good reviews about the accuracy and dependability of this model. Mine does not have the detachable magazine, or the accu trigger setup.

I haven't determined the actual year of manuf. yet, but hoping to do it here. (do we still PM Mr. Mad Dog to get it?) The seller thought the gun is approx 6 to 12 yrs old, and has been used very little. I did not get the owners manual with it, but did read a little about the 3 postion safety - forward is off, back is full on, and middle blocks the trigger but allows the bolt to be opened.

So my problem is that I've just gotten the gun home, and checking it out quickly (unloaded only, as I live in town), and it appears that the safety is possibly not functioning properly. In the full rear position, the bolt is locked, but once I unlock it and cock the bolt back and forward, and reset the safety to the middle or back position, I'm still able to dry fire the rifle in any of the 3 positions.

Could someone tell me if there's something I'm not doing correctly? Does the rifle have to be loaded for the safety to work properly? I wouldn't think so. If it is a malfunction, does anyone know if it's a common problem, and if it's expensive to repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JP