Thread: Do you use a vise with your wrench?

Basic Member

Do you use a vise with your wrench?

I have changed a couple barrels on savages and I have a good understanding of the process. I have a SSS wrench and when I did the swap on my gun I used a bench vice to hold the barrel. I have some lead bars that I put on each side of the barrel so as not to mar the barrel and then I break the nut loose and so on. What I have noticed is, when tightening the nut I have to use something to hold the action from turning abit and if you watch closely you can see the action twist while tightening the nut and holding the action with a makeshift tool. I would like to get away from this and didn't know if I needed an action wrench or vise. Whats your method?

Re: Do you use a vise with your wrench?

use an action wrench instead of a barrel vise..then the action cannot move, and definately will not twist.

.Or just dont overtighten the barrel nut. it doesnt need to be as tight as the factory makes it.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Team Savage

The first time braking the nut loose is usualy the toughest. After that, smooth sailing from then on.
    The first (and last) time I used my action wrench, the barrel squeaked when I tried to turn it. Come to find out the wrench had squeezed the the action just enough to distort it and bound up the barrel. Loosened the wrench and the barrel spun right out.
    From then on, nut wrench goes up the barrel, barrel gets chucked in a padded vice or barrel blocks, one smack with a steel hammer on the nut wrench and the nut is broke loose.
    Rear entry action wrench would be a better way to go. Out of the 10 or so barrels that I've changed, no more problems without the action wrench.
    When it goes back together, the nut isn't "that" tight. Marks on the barrel and action indicate that it has never turned or come loose. A little "smack" on the nut wrench and it's tight enough. No movement and they never come loose. 8)
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

Thanks for info guys. I understand the nut doesn't need to be as tight when going back togather. I just run the nut up to the receiver and snug it up good with the wrench but I've noticed that as I turn the nut the last little bit the action will turn just a tick thus changing the headspace. I'm talking a minute amount.

Predator1,
    Have you ever checked to see how much the headspace changes when it moves that little bit ?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by zap
    Predator1,
    Have you ever checked to see how much the headspace changes when it moves that little bit ?
    Not with a guage but when I chamber the brass it is a touch too snug.