Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field dressing/skinning knife

Nandy

Field dressing/skinning knife

For many years I have had the luck to have a butcher just minutes away from the lease that I have been hunting so I never had the need to actually field dress and skin my deer. This year I have decided to do the field dressing (should it be field undressing??? lol) and gutting myself. This will save me $15 from the butcher processing fee. The club I belong to have wonderful facilities for this and we even have a walk in freezer to age the meat. I stood and watch the president of the club doing his magic on the first 2 deer I shot and I cleaned the last one I shot and skinned just yesterday to drop it at the butcher. I am using a Gerber hunting knife I was given as a gift a few years ago. I wonder if I should be using a different knife like a filet knife.
    What knife style/material do you guys use? What knife style/material should I stay away from? What is the easiest way to sharpen them in a pinch to keep that edge good while skinning it?

Thanks!

davemuzz

Re: Field dressing/skinning knife

For sharpening during the process of butchering, there is nothing better than a "Sharpening Steel" http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-9-Inc...3473042&sr=8-1 These will keep a nice sharp edge with just running the knife (properly) across it in 4 to 6 swipes. To learn how to use it, go to You Tube.

For field dressing and skinning, I have found this Case knife to be unbeatable. Besides, it's made right here in the USA. http://casexx.com/DisplayDetailPage....oductCode=2031

And for cutting meat from bone, any good quality deboning knife will do it.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Nandy

Thanks!

thomae

I use a Buck Crosslock that has 2 folding blades: a skinning blade and a gut hook. Looks a lot like this one, but has a belt sheath: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BUCK-CROSSLOCK-CROSS-LOCK-180-DEPUTY-/320812755620?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item4ab1ee 2aa4

The newer ones have a saw blade on the back of the gut hook, but I carry a separate Gerber t-handle small saw that works for me. (http://www.cabelas.com/field-care-gerber-e-z-3.shtml)

(I also have a really nice hand made skinning knife my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago. It's so nice, though, I don't like to get it bloody. )

If you skin the deer when warm, you hardly need a knife. Skin pulls right off. I've never had to sharpen a knife while skinning. I would think that cutting the subcutaneous membrane should not dull your knife very much. I carry a separate knife as a general purpose utility knife an donly use the skinning knives for skinning and gutting.

I use a regular kitchen boning knife when butchering the deer. In fact, that's what I was doing today in the back yard.

bill2260

Look on ebay for herters improved bowie knife. I purchased one of these when I was around 11 or 12 years old and it is still my main use hunting knife. I own others and this is the best knife you can buy. I think I paid $1.25 for mine 40 years ago. I have gutted, skinned, butcherd hundreds of deer, fish, squirrls and others. Great knife and stilll available used. Bill

fyimo

I hace a BUCK 0692BKS-B VANGUARD CLASSIC FIELD KNIFE and it's worked great and holds an edge really well. I can shapen it with my Lanksy sharping kit and get it razpr sharp. They are availbale on Ebay from several sellers.

Basic Member

Am I the only one to use a Kabar for this? I sharpen up the back edge on the tip& it does a nice job when skinning as you have almost scalpel like control, plus it is heavy enough to get through the bones& joints when needed.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Buck 102 is all I have used for field skinnging/gutting/caping for the last 30 years. For heavy bone the Buck 119 & for packaging the meats at home I use a german Wusthof kitchen knife.

Basic Member

I also use case knives. the trapper and trapper lock are my favorites for skinning. I only use the cv metal. The edge will last about 2 deer before needing sharpened. it only takes seconds to sharpen as well. I grew up using buck knives but switched to case knives after using them. After I debone, I like to use a fillet knife to butcher with.
    I even named my boy Case..ha ha

DarnYankee

Gerber Gator with or with out the serated edge. Nice shaped rubber handle, folds and locks great, holds an edge great.

Jackpine

It may seem like an unlikely choice but my Mora 2000 has become my go to field and skinning knife. Holds a good edge, stainless, and easy to clean. (cheap too)

My absolute favorite is a Browning FDT(Field Dressing Tool)

It's a locking folder with:
    Drop point blade
    Gut hook and hide cutter
    Saw

http://www.youtube.com/v/gFFXdaK_yKE...&hl=en_GB"

I don't skin with a knife. I make some prep cuts with the FDT then pull the skin off with the truck. Much cleaner and faster.

I've used it for years on muleys, antelope, and elk. Works great and holds an edge.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Team Savage
    Used several over the years. Was using a RAT 5 the Army gave me when I retired (screw the **** gold watch... what good is that!). I then purchased a Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze from Cabelas.... Buy one.... they are FREAKIN awesome!!!!! Check out the website and you'll see why.....
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119. I like it so much that I have given several dozen as gifts for my family and friends. I can pick up the ones with the phenolic handle and nylon sheath at Wally World for about $40. I have tried a lot of pricy knives but I'm not sure there is anything better at any price.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119.
    Me too! It seems to be "just right" for field dressing and skinning. I have used mine on game ranging in size from squirrels to elk and it handled them all nicely.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

lucky_13
    I used to be a butcher so I just stick with what I know. I use three cheap dexter knives. A 6" boning knife, a 8" butcher knife and a second butcher knife that I modified. I took a 8" butcher knife that was pretty well worn and cut it down to about 3.5". I ground the rough edges round and sharpened the she-ot out of it. It is by far, the best thing I have ever used for tearing through pelvic bone and especially ribs.

Big Old Boy
    Benchmade 201, DMT to keep it sharp.
    Last edited by Big Old Boy; 08-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Big Old Boy
    Benchmade 201 DMT to keep it sharp.

cgeorgemo
    For gutting and skinning one of my hunting buddies uses a razor knife with a replaceable blade....
    Last edited by cgeorgemo; 08-11-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Luckus
    Marbles Bison series fixed blade, and LL Bean copy of the original Remington Bullet knife, mfg'd by the Bowen Knife Co. I have been packing the Bullet knife since 1978.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119. I like it so much that I have given several dozen as gifts for my family and friends. I can pick up the ones with the phenolic handle and nylon sheath at Wally World for about $40. I have tried a lot of pricy knives but I'm not sure there is anything better at any price.
    LOL - it's just funny how different tastes are. I looked up the 119, and it epitomizes almost every design feature I hate in a fixed-blade knife. Which in no way makes it a poor knife. Just funny.

To the OP - there are actually several tasks involved, and where you stop in field dressing will help you decide what to use.

For gutting to reduce weight and cool the carcass, almost anything will work as all you have to do is get under the skin and cut upward.

For skinning, you need something with a bit of curve to the blade, and probably at least 3". I have a Spyderco Sage as my general-purpose carry folder, and it will skin anything up to a zebra/elk just fine.

If you're quartering the critter, you need something that will get through bone. This is usually the decision point - you can skin with a folding knife and carry a bone saw, or you can force your way through with a heavier fixed-blade knife that can also skin - like that Buck 119. The bone saw will work better, but it's an extra thing to carry around and lose.

If you're going to bone out, it helps to have a plain thin kitchen boning knife. Either the folder or the fixed blade will bone, but you're going to get awfully bloody. If its the folder, it's likely to be animal blood - if the fixed blade, it's likely to be yours. :)

Hope this helps.

KeS
    Last edited by kevin_stevens; 10-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Basic Member
    I use a medium sized drop point blade that's in my three blade Old Timer folder to gut, skin, and quarter deer. Holds a good edge and can typically get thru two deer before I need to re-sharpen. And still I have two spare sharp blades for other tasks. Never saw any need for a bone saw or real heavy knife to quarter a deer as we use tree loppers to cut the legs off and to sever the spine. Only draw back to this knife is that I like to clean it right away due to the carbon steel blades.

Pigs are a lot tougher (because of the thick skin, hair, and fat) to process. Typically have to switch blades half way thru a pig due to the fat that sticks to the blade.

Basically any good drop point knife will get the job done. Pick one that is comfortable to hold when your hand is wet and is easy to clean afterward and you are good to go!

rattfink
    I have used a Spyderco Endura, and a Kabar. One of the two does all of my cutting jobs.

M.O.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarnYankee View Post
    Gerber Gator with or with out the serated edge. Nice shaped rubber handle, folds and locks great, holds an edge great.
    Plus one here very nice knife I had the set the one with the gut hook and the one with the aerated edge. But let a buddy use the gut hook one and its gone now ;-( .

358Hammer
    Gerber drop point 3" folding stainless pocket knife given to me by my daughter has been on every hunt since 1986. Have carried a Gerber Gator and a pixy edged gerber for fine caping work since I can't remember. Knap saw and a super sharp ULU (native work knife) all on every hunt along with that mentioned above. ULU is fantastic for skinning, fleshing or cutting vegatables for supper.

Neal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast