Tried the search feature and did find a little info. I recently started target shooting with a buddy of mine who shoots a custom built, 24" heavy barrel .308. Now, I ran across a heck of a deal and just couldn't let it go and am now the proud owner of a Savage model 111 chambered in .300 Win Mag. It has a 26", non heavy barrel and hunting trigger. While this is a great platform to start shooting with him off of, I am planning to build this gun into a very precise rifle out to 700 yards, which is the extent of the range we shoot at.

My questions are, does this seem like a practical model to build off of and if so, should I look into changing the barrel to a heavy barrel with a 24" or stay at 26" length? Also any better and heavier stocks floating around out there for a model 111?

Thanks in advance and thanks for allowing me on the site. I can't wait to read through the wealth of knowledge and information on this site and to better my knowledge of what I believe to be the best and most accurate manufactured rifles on the market today.