Thread: New here with new rifle got some questions...

tmurph01

New here with new rifle got some questions...

Tried the search feature and did find a little info. I recently started target shooting with a buddy of mine who shoots a custom built, 24" heavy barrel .308. Now, I ran across a heck of a deal and just couldn't let it go and am now the proud owner of a Savage model 111 chambered in .300 Win Mag. It has a 26", non heavy barrel and hunting trigger. While this is a great platform to start shooting with him off of, I am planning to build this gun into a very precise rifle out to 700 yards, which is the extent of the range we shoot at.

My questions are, does this seem like a practical model to build off of and if so, should I look into changing the barrel to a heavy barrel with a 24" or stay at 26" length? Also any better and heavier stocks floating around out there for a model 111?

Thanks in advance and thanks for allowing me on the site. I can't wait to read through the wealth of knowledge and information on this site and to better my knowledge of what I believe to be the best and most accurate manufactured rifles on the market today.

Re: New here with new rifle got some questions...

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a nice rifle. Hope you enjoy it!

Basic Member

That rifle will serve you very well. There is an unlimited amount of ways you can modify and improve it, but it will most likely shoot lights out as it is.

Basic Member

You have a long action that you can do build just about any caliber off of. Practice with the 300 win mag and see what it can do. It may surprise you.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

tmurph01

Thanks everyone for the welcoming. I was luck enough to pick the rifle up used for $200 out the door. All it needed was a magazine. Right now I just plan on getting used to the action and ballistics of the .300 as well as working on my long range fundamentals. My only plans right now are just a scope and bipod. Eventually I am sure a new barrel, stock, and trigger will be on the list of upgrades, but until than, I can't wait to get out and shoot!

ellobo

If it has the factory plastic stock you wont like the bipod. To much flex in the stock for using a bipod.

El Lobo

tmurph01

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    If it has the factory plastic stock you wont like the bipod. To much flex in the stock for using a bipod.

El Lobo
    I kind of thought this same thing and is the reasoning I would like to upgrade the stock first. I personally would like a heavier, more tactical stock. Any suggestions?

Basic Member

Become a paid member so you can view the classifieds. You would find what ya need there and it would be a good $12 investment.

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    Become a paid member so you can view the classifieds. You would find what ya need there and it would be a good $12 investment.
    +1, the best $12 you will ever invest.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

MikeS in CO

+2 on the $12, only you may find that it is the most expensive $12 you ever spend! There is a lot to like about the Savage 110 platform. The want ads here are good and the paid sponsors are a good source too.

For 700 yds plan on investing in good glass if you haven't done so.

tmurph01

Oh, I plan on paying my $12. Heck, if I could pay with a card I already would. Haha

*Edit, I didnt know paypal had a pay as a guest option, So.. paid member status activated :D

Hand load for it and do a ladder test. You'll probably find if you sweeten up the factory trigger a little and find a good load that folks at the range will wander over and wanna know what kind of rifle is printing those itty bitty groups.
    It's been my experience with several different Savage rifles.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

tmurph01

The more i held the gun today, the more I realized that I really want to upgrade the stock before I start shooting a lot.

So, as far as the stock is concerned. What would you suggest is my best value if I am looking for something better built and heavier than the stock stock, that is comfortable and best suited for target shooting? Also looking for something that would pretty much bolt right on with little to no modifications.

Links would be appreciated also if you have them.

bbradford71

Look at the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for and is a super great stock for the $200 price tag.

Basic Member

not alot of choices on stocks for a long action with DBM.

tmurph01

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    not alot of choices on stocks for a long action with DBM.
    Im starting to see this... i couldn't find a B&C medalist that would work..

Basic Member

Ive got a few with dbm, just kept them the way they were as dedicated deer rifles. Couldnt see spending $500+ bucks on a manners.

Basic Member

you could convert it to a blind mag. Ive never done it but I think all you would need is the L clip to hold the follower in place. Im sure someone has already done this on here.

3fingervic

Check out Stockade Stocks. Tell Kevin what you have and he will inlet a stock, so you can just bolt it in. Look at the Prairie Dog/Tactical, it seems to be what you are looking for.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html#top

I would have suggested Sharp Shooter Supply, but I just had a rocky experience with them.

If you have the old style bolt release convert to a blind magazine. If you are bench shooting not a great need for mag full of ammo. I bought a B&C medalist for my 16 and it was an awesome investment for $200 from Stocky's.