Thread: annealing

gotcha

annealing

Hi Guys! Does anyone use the Ballistic edge Mod. 360 case annealer? Are you satisfied with the results? Have you annealed .223 or any .378" bolt face cases? I'm concerned w/ transfering to much heat into the base of the case w/ these shorter cartridges. I'm presently using propane, tempilac & a variable speed drlll w/ case holder. So, any comparison to this method would be appreciated. Thanx in advance, Dale

Basic Member

Re: annealing

I'm not familiar with that one but I have been using a Ken Light Annealer on 223, 221 Fireball and 20 VarTarg for the last couple of years. Very consistant result and pretty fast (approx 1,000 per hour)
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

MrMajestic

Bench Source here, no problems with .17 Ackley Hornet cases or .223/.222's. I would recommend it to anyone.

Basic Member

+1 on the Ken Light machine.

Terry

gotcha

Thanks for the input so far guys!...MRMAJESTIC, The Bench source annealer is loaded w/ features for the price. Including the ability to spin the case in the flame. How long have you had your unit? Have you had any reliability problems? Can you anneal w/ only one torch w/o over heating the cartridge base because of longer dwell time? Thanx, Dale

MrMajestic

I have had it for about 6 months. I anneal every firing so it has seen some use w/o a single hiccup. I never tried a single torch and not sure why you would want to. I bought the recommended units and they are very inexpensive and consistent. If you get one all your cases will be annealed all the time. Consistent reloading practices= accuracy!

gotcha

Being a cheap skate I wondered if one torch would do the trick since the Bench source rotates the case in the flame for even heat distribution, much like my present method. I've seen noticeable improvement in accuracy by annealing after every third or fourth firing. My present method is a bit tedious & I feel automating would make it easier to anneal more frequently as you are doing. Are you using tempilac to set a heat & dwell time standard? Have you found quenching to be necessary? 'preciate the input!