Thread: Savage 12 LRPV switch barrel advice needed

cappi

Savage 12 LRPV switch barrel advice needed

I have been using my Savage 12 LRPV in cal. 6BR with a 1:12 twist on prarie dogs out to 400 yards quite succesfully with 75gr Vmax bullets. HOWEVER i would like to start shooting LONGER bullets say the 87gr Vmax to the 105 gr Amax. Should i simply get the savage 1:8 twist barrel for my rifle ? Will i still be able to reuse the orig barrel when needed. I am open to suggestions on other barrel options and someone to do the initial set up.
    Thanks

Basic Member

Re: Savage 12 LRPV switch barrel advice needed

Cappi
    I would give Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters a call he will fix you up with a faster twist barrel for you rifle.
    P.S. he is a sponser here.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member

Jim Briggs is the right answer. Don't be surprised if a custom barrel is cheaper that a stock Savage barrel.

Terry

Basic Member

I bought the 8 twist Savage barrel from Jim before he offered the CBI barrels. It shoots great and it keeps me in the Factory Class at the local 600 yard BR shoots.

Ken

fdennis

I may have the same problem. Rumor has it that Mrs. Santa Claus is going to leave a 12LRVP 223 under our tree. If she comes through, and if I like the rifle (i.e., it's accurate enough, but it was a mistake; long story) I'll want to use it as a switch barrel rifle, with more than one caliber to switch back and forth. Is there some barrel supplier out there who can furnish me with the same contour, so that the new barrel fits the barrel channel? Maybe more important is, will I be able to get the barrels off and on without removing the scope? These may be ignorant questions, because I haven't seen the barrel nut system etc. up close and personal. Maybe it's simple. Thanks in advance for your advice. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by cappi
    I have been using my Savage 12 LRPV in cal. 6BR with a 1:12 twist on prarie dogs out to 400 yards quite succesfully with 75gr Vmax bullets. HOWEVER i would like to start shooting LONGER bullets say the 87gr Vmax to the 105 gr Amax. Should i simply get the savage 1:8 twist barrel for my rifle ? Will i still be able to reuse the orig barrel when needed. I am open to suggestions on other barrel options and someone to do the initial set up.
    Thanks
    1 in 8 twist will do what you want, talk to Jim at NSS or Devin at SinArms.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67