Thread: 338 Lapua brass re-use count

twinhairdryers

Talking 338 Lapua brass re-use count

So i just recently got into 338 Lapua reloading due to the cost of factory ammo. My question is, i'm buying high quality Lapua brass. getting good results out of my Savage with 88grains RL 25 under 300grain SMKs. How many times is it safe to re-use this brass for this type of load? and, what to inspect for to throw a casing out for potential issues or failures upcoming? my 228 and 308 is generally used 10times before i toss it out and i've never had a split case in 10 of thousands of rounds in those calibers.

You should only fire it once, then send them to me for proper disposal. Just kidding, had to try.

As expensive at that brass is, you want to re-use it as much as possible.

Do you anneal? You need to start, you'll prevent splitting.

You can toss the brass when the primers won't stay in anymore. Even then you can get a few more loadings with the primer pocket swage from RW Hart.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

twinhairdryers
    I may need to study anneal process perhaps and how much it may improve re-use. I noticed a big difference in quality between the Prvi-Prtisan? and Lapua brass. i think the cheap stuff will be a lower re-use. case walls even seem thinner since they measure out quite a bit lower in weight compared to the Lapua stamped.

DPmax
    I have some PPU brass going on ten reloads, but they are used with lower powder loads for sub 500yds and for fouling shots... usually 87.5gr H1000 with Hornady 225gr SSTs (got 1k of them really cheap). Would still make a devastating hunting/varmint round out to 500!

I have one group of Lapua brass that just completed its 15th reload of long range loads... 91gr of H1000 for 300gr Sierra MatchKings or 91.5gr H1000 for 300gr Berger OTM Hybrids. I bought this brass as once fired from Barrett, not sure what load it had there, so this brass has been fired 16 times.

I anneal after the fourth firing and neither the PPU or the Lapua show any signs of giving up soon.
    Resize/trim only as much as absolutely necessary and make sure your dies and brass are as clean as possible and lubed the right amount.
    The only brass I've killed so far was a couple PPUs I used while dialing in my annealing process and one Lapua that I let one spec of walnut grit get past me while resizing.

BUT the Lapua brass is clearly higher quality!
    I keep my brass sorted into groups. The Lapua brass has no deviations within a group and very minor deviations between groups. On the flip side I have to forgive some deviations in the PPU brass just to even make a small group, and this is after fire forming and working the brass.
    I bet a brand new box of Lapua brass is **** near deviation free, totally identical.
    Last edited by DPmax; 11-02-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a ****

twinhairdryers
    Some of my Lapua brass is once fired from Lapua factory loads, sized to my chamber (i fired them once). any chance the factory annealed this brass, or is this not common practice for factory loads. For what they charge for these, they should be hand delivered one by one, and hand polished before i chamber each at the range by a factory representative who also serves a nice lunch.

Basic Member
    It was anealed by the factory before loading it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by twinhairdryers View Post
    ...... For what they charge for these, they should be hand delivered one by one, and hand polished before i chamber each at the range by a factory representative who also serves a nice lunch.
    Welcome to the world of Lapua.

helotaxi
    Lapua brass isn't really any more expensive than any other premium brass. Priced out Norma or Nosler brass lately?

Shooter50
    It also depends on your rifle, I have 110 HS Percision and can only get 5 reloads, then brass expands to much and starts locking up bolt. I am only loading 85 grs H1000

DPmax
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter50 View Post
    It also depends on your rifle, I have 110 HS Percision and can only get 5 reloads, then brass expands to much and starts locking up bolt. I am only loading 85 grs H1000
    If you haven't tried this... after your 5th firing, anneal, do a full resize, then trim and turn the necks. Avoid the temptation to remove too much, I have one unfired Lapua case that I use for measurements and to setup trimmers and turning gear.
    That will pretty much put the brass back to factory spec.

Shooter50
    Think it is the shoulders that are expanding too much. After firing case it will not rechamber, case loads fine before shooting but bolt will not close on fired case.