Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .243 bullet for white tail?

fishshocker

Re: .243 bullet for white tail?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot
    ...If it's a high shoulder shot you'll lose some loin...Depends on how far back you hit-em...With the 85gr Sie. HPBT-GK or Nos 90gr BT I like the neck shots myself DRT...I don't do shoulder shots..Lungs or neck...I use the front legs for berger anyway so I guess it would'nt matter too much...A shoulder shot will lose alot of meat with those bullets...
    +1 for the neck shots! My first few kills with my 243 were shoulder shots with the 95gr winchester ballistic silvertips....man do they drop them in their tracks! But I also noticed a lot of meat damage, so I switched to neck shots and that changed everything! I shot one @ 160yrds on the edge of a field right at dusk...headed down to the edge of the field and walked the woods to track her, but couldn't find any blood...anywhere, so I went back to my stand...noted where she was when I shot her and walked straight to that spot....very easy tracking job from then on...she didn't even fall over. All 4 hooves were on the ground (in the same direction that she was facing when I shot her), but her knees were bent and her nose was in the dirt. She actually scared me, thought she was trying to hide. I've been shooting neck shots from that day forward.

skypilot

Re: .243 bullet for white tail?

My older Model 110 shoots the factory Winchester 100 gr Power - Point (X2432) well.
    Never had to track a deer when shot with the Win. PPs all DRT. I have a place in the Southern US and it works on the 150 lb. deer there and on the 300 lb deer here in Canada

I may try some reloads for it because ammo is quite higher here and I reload for the .223 anyway.

Regards,

Steel Talon
    85gr Nosler Partitions...

in the big ass game sub forum, there a vid posted last year of an Elk (cow) shot with a 243 at 600 yrds or so.
    so Nosler partitions might be overkill for bambi unless you are shooting a 500lb Mule deer ;-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Steel Talon
    How about a link to the video

logic factory
    i assume this is the video being mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18 kasandra cow elk at 688yds. is the title on youtube.

tyler.woodard04
    95 VLD. Worked great in my 6BRX striker to 500 yards

newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    My last antelope was dropped with a 95g nosler Hunting BT at 120 yards & it was to much IMO as it ruined one whole shoulder at a low but very accurate 2600 fps.
    This year my load will be the sierra 85g GK or 80g nosler PT.

nsaqam
    I'd be pushing the 80gr Barnes TTSX very fast.

Shoot for the shoulder to break them down fast if they need to be anchored.

kk71
    How about a factory box bullet?

Basic Member
    I use the 95 grn ballistic tip Nosler.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

bcraig
    I use the Barnes 80grain TTSX factory load. Works great on deer and shoots 3 shots into less than an inch at a Hundred yards out of a Remington 7600 with 4x leupold.
    Craig

helotaxi
    85gn Partition. I've got some 100gn Partitions but don't have time to work up a load for this year's season. You're less likely to destroy a lot of meat if the bullet holds together. There's no such thing as "too dead".

Basic Member
    105's in both the AMAX and Berger VLD's.

Basic Member
    For 4 years only 95 Berger bullets at near 3000fps. Nothing walks away, not deer or hogs. Of course, I love those Bergers, only thing I shoot anymore in 220 swift, 243, 260, 30-06.

Same here. I use a Berger in everything and the 95 or 105 would be my pick with the 100 grain sierra game king being my second choice.

Basic Member
    100g core-lokt's on coastal blacktails are positively devastating but, blacktails are much smaller than whitetails. Large ragged exit wounds. Very flat shooting. Longest take was 550yrds down hill pretty steeply on a 120lbs buck. entered left shoulder, exited the front of the chest and left a hole you could drop a tennis ball through. No really excessive meat damage for all the dramatic outward appearance of the wound. I've taken a few bucks with .243 at much closer ranges and never had any fails to penetrate clean through. I don't know if a 80gr would be as tough.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
    I don't know if a 80gr would be as tough.
    All the 80gn bullets that I have are varmint bullets but I wouldn't have any reservations using the 80gn TTSX. I just don't have any. The 85gn partition will get the job done.

Basic Member
    Wife and I have killed a ton of deer with 85gr Sierra Game King, BTHP, with 36.gr of IMr 3031 under it, worked this load up over 20 years ago. A year or so ago, Brian Pearce in Rife magazine stated that this same exact load was the utlitmate whitetail round for a .243!

Basic Member

Thumbs Up Hornady Interlock

Just got back from early buck and elk season. My daughter wacked another whitetail with the .243 Hornady Interlock 100 grain. Nice little 4X4, with a funky looking left antler. She hit him in the right shoulder on a quartering shot. The bullet passed through the right shoulder into the chest cavity, hitting the heart, and exited on the left side near the rear of the rib cage. The deer then took off and ran about fifty yards before crashing. Love these "cheap" bullets!
    Last edited by Lincoln4; 12-01-2012 at 01:56 AM.

dnsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by skoger View Post
    Wife and I have killed a ton of deer with 85gr Sierra Game King, BTHP, with 36.gr of IMr 3031 under it, worked this load up over 20 years ago. A year or so ago, Brian Pearce in Rife magazine stated that this same exact load was the utlitmate whitetail round for a .243!
    I'm gonna write that one down.

dnsmith
    to the OP, who started this thread a year ago, I typically use a 100 g hornady or sierra flatbase softpoint. 40 g of H4350. I have some nosler brass for the .243 that is really pretty decent. has required very little trimming.

Basic Member
    I always used nosler partitions in 100 gr in my 6mm remington. Tough bullet. I always heard the lighter bullets that werent a solid copper or partition heavy jacketed bullet type could fail when hitting tough shoulder bone. 100 grain corelokts were my practice and groundhog bullets and they seemed to open up quickly... Wouldnt feel as confident on deer in thicker wood areas where i hunt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12