Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot
...If it's a high shoulder shot you'll lose some loin...Depends on how far back you hit-em...With the 85gr Sie. HPBT-GK or Nos 90gr BT I like the neck shots myself DRT...I don't do shoulder shots..Lungs or neck...I use the front legs for berger anyway so I guess it would'nt matter too much...A shoulder shot will lose alot of meat with those bullets...
+1 for the neck shots! My first few kills with my 243 were shoulder shots with the 95gr winchester ballistic silvertips....man do they drop them in their tracks! But I also noticed a lot of meat damage, so I switched to neck shots and that changed everything! I shot one @ 160yrds on the edge of a field right at dusk...headed down to the edge of the field and walked the woods to track her, but couldn't find any blood...anywhere, so I went back to my stand...noted where she was when I shot her and walked straight to that spot....very easy tracking job from then on...she didn't even fall over. All 4 hooves were on the ground (in the same direction that she was facing when I shot her), but her knees were bent and her nose was in the dirt. She actually scared me, thought she was trying to hide. I've been shooting neck shots from that day forward.