Thread: Long range (for me) Kansas deer hunt

Basic Member

Long range (for me) Kansas deer hunt

This was my first time to hunt Kansas (About 70 miles Northwest of Salina) and IT WAS AWESOME!!!! My hunting partner and I had a great time, filled all of our tags (1 buck, 2 does each) and had great weather. We have been hunting together for a lifetime and I think this was the best deer hunt we have ever had. We are both from the Eastern Ozarks in Southern Missouri and long shots in our part of the world are typically 100 to 200 yards. In Kansas, things don't even get interesting until 200 plus yards. Unfortunately I didn't take very many pictures on my phone, and I haven't had a chance to get pictures from my buddy yet.

Anyway here is a picture of the view of a doe that I killed at 342 yards.

And then here is the doe.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of my longest shot of 602 yards on another doe. It was late and just about at the end of shooting light. But at 602 yards, I have set a new personal best with my specialty pistol.

Here is my rig. Savage dual port target action, Neal Cooper rear grip stock, Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 (This photo shows it with a Bushnell Elite 4200), Burris Signature Zee Rings with 20 minute inserts, EGW one piece base, Barrel is a factory sporter barrel cut down to 17" and nitride treated. My load is a 180 grain SMK at 2996 fps. It works extremely well on whitetail deer in Missouri AND Kansas.

John

tyler.woodard04
    Nice. What caliber? Registered as a pistol?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler.woodard04 View Post
    Nice. What caliber? Registered as a pistol?
    Sorry, it's a 300 WSM and yes, the action started life as an undesignated action from savage.

John

Basic Member
    I'm not sure I even want to know how you get a 180 SMK going almost 3000fps out of a 17" barrel. Insane! Great shooting. Looks like a fun rig.

tyler.woodard04
    I was thinking the same thing. Im using rl17 in my 15.5" 7wsm and 140's to get that speed. Must be a fast barrel. And didnt you know target bullets dont work for hunting! Ha thats all i use either amax or bergers. Have not had an issue yet. Cant wait to see what the 123 amax does to a deer next year!

Basic Member

Re: Long range (for me) Kansas deer hunt

Its a Ninja barrel and Ninja boolits seriously, it started out as a fast barrel. Nitride helped boost it over 150 fps. No signs of pressure.
    Then there is the Ninja boolits to boot.
    John
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

tyler.woodard04
    Can a barrel be coated after its been shot?

Basic Member

Re: Long range (for me) Kansas deer hunt

Mine was.
    John

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    I think most suggest a very low round count prior to coating. Most services I've looked at mention something in the 30 - 60 range. Just enough to smooth things out a little in the throat or remove any burs but not enough to cause any real wear or fire cracking.