Thread: Question about the 111 LRH 338 LM action

Bama73

Question about the 111 LRH 338 LM action

I was wondering if the action on the factory 338 can be used as a donor for a 264 win mag build ? I understand I'd have to change the bolt head, but would regular 110 based barrels screw to the Lapua based action ? Also would any 110 based stock fit as well ? I guess what I am asking is are the 338's a one off deal or will other 110 based parts fit them ? Also would the 338 mag feed with a standard magnum cartridge ?

And as to why I would want to do such, I like the beefier action on the LM as opposed to the regular 110 based actions.

Basic Member

Re: Question about the 111 LRH 338 LM action

It's a large shank action so you would have to have a large shank barrel. I'm not sure but seems I read that they changed the screw spacing on that action slightly too I think due to the longer magazine box. They also thickened the locking lug recesses so I'm not sure if the bolt is the same length as a regular 110 or not and if another head would fit that one or not. Might be easier to buy a whole other bolt assembly. Some others on here should be able to answer the rest of your questions.

I have a 110 BA in .338LM that I changed over to .300WM. Trust me when I say this... its by far easiest to just get a new bolt rather than try to swap out parts. The bolt head is significantly thicker on the .338, which means the firing pin assy. is different, etc. I don't have the hole spacing numbers at hand, but I think they did change those as well. It is a standard large shank thread pattern for the barrel, though - but in my case, most pre-threaded & chambered .300WM barrels are made for standard shanks receivers. The 110BA uses a non-standard recoil lug - no locator 'tit' to engage the notch in the receiver and dished in on the sides. Turned out replacing it with a SSS competition recoil lug worked just fine... but then the stock needed inletting to allow the barreled action to seat in the stock. All in all, a lot more of a PITA than usual for a Savage (re) build.

Bama73

That sounds like more aggravation than its worth, thanks for the heads up.

I don't know for sure what kind of lug the 111LRH and/or 110FCP in .338LM use... all I know is that the 110BA uses some weird bastardized lug. No idea why they used a(nother) non-standard part rather than program a 5-10 second cut during the machining of the 110BA stock so it would take a standard Target Action recoil lug - the action is already notched for it.

Recently I ordered a 110FCP stock and bottom metal, with the intent of transplanting the barreled action from my 110BA into it. At that point when I actually see the recoil lug slot I'll have a pretty good idea of what kind of lug its setup for - it may be that they learned their lesson on the 110BA and used a normal lug on the 111LRH/110FCP. Maybe someone who has either gun could chime in here and give some input...?

If the recoil lug is normal, then the only 'issue' would be getting a new bolt. Like I said, at first I thought we could just swap parts around (bolt head specifically) but in the end, there are enough different parts between the .338LM bolt and the regular bolt that its just easier to order a separate bolt - at which point the 'swap' becomes pretty simple, if not as inexpensive as one might like.

wab

I just noticed this thread so I'm a bit late in replying.

My 110 FCP HS recoil lug is not exactly like the lug on my other Savages. The bottom of the lug has been cut in a rectangular shape. Also there is no dimple (key) to fit the notch in the action. Not sure why Savage left off the dimple as like you say the action is notched for it.

However its not very different and I can't (from looking) see why a regular recoil lug with a dimple could not be swapped in.

Sounds like the same lug used on the 110BA... thats a shame. I'd hoped they'd 'upgraded' the lug to one like they use on the other Target Actions.

I have all my parts in hand, just haven't had time to mess with that particular gun much lately with the holidays and whatnot. A regular lug does *not* fit in the stock for a 110BA without some serious machining. I'm guessing that the lug used on the 111LRH and 110FCP are 'legacy' from the 110BA.

Basic Member

That recoil lug is basically for Accustocks. It is also used in the 10 BA. If you look real close to the BA stock, the middle stock component is machined like the extruded insert in the Accustocks. It mimics the Accustock in the way the sides will spread slightly before the receiver bottoms out when the screws are tightened.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."