I bought a Savage Model 14 in 308 caliber LNIB for $460 and after setting it up with a Leupold Vari XII scope and Leupold mounts I took it to the range today. Well number one the fit and finish on the rifle are actually very nice and I love the wood stock with oil finish instead of a lacquer or varnish finish. I also like the stainless action and barrel and I have to admit I put blued mounts and rings with a matt blue scope on it. I actually like the looks of it set up that way and I'd be proud to pull it out anywhere.

I was a little surprised with the trigger as it took me a while to get used to pulling the plastic bar to the trigger and then checking the sight picture and firing but after a short while all was fine. I was shooting my reloads with Hornady SST 150 grain bullets and the round settled in at about 3/4 inch at 100 yards which certainly made my day. I leaving Monday on a 5 day Deer hunt in Arkansas and I hope to shoot at least one deer with the rifle during the hunt. I must say I'm impressed with this rifle as it beat all my expectations and I can't wait to hunt it.