Thread: Savage Model 14 impressions

fyimo

Savage Model 14 impressions

I bought a Savage Model 14 in 308 caliber LNIB for $460 and after setting it up with a Leupold Vari XII scope and Leupold mounts I took it to the range today. Well number one the fit and finish on the rifle are actually very nice and I love the wood stock with oil finish instead of a lacquer or varnish finish. I also like the stainless action and barrel and I have to admit I put blued mounts and rings with a matt blue scope on it. I actually like the looks of it set up that way and I'd be proud to pull it out anywhere.

I was a little surprised with the trigger as it took me a while to get used to pulling the plastic bar to the trigger and then checking the sight picture and firing but after a short while all was fine. I was shooting my reloads with Hornady SST 150 grain bullets and the round settled in at about 3/4 inch at 100 yards which certainly made my day. I leaving Monday on a 5 day Deer hunt in Arkansas and I hope to shoot at least one deer with the rifle during the hunt. I must say I'm impressed with this rifle as it beat all my expectations and I can't wait to hunt it.

Basic Member

Re: Savage Model 14 impressions

Have fun in Arkansas with the Model 14. My son has taken 4 Ark deer with the Model 14 .308. It is a nice setup.

I prefer the Savage trigger over the high end aftermarket trigger in my other rifle.

Murphy

Sounds like a nice rifle, But did I see the bit about the plastic trigger bar right. All of the savages I have seen have metal trigger bars , is this something new?

Basic Member

2 more Arkansas deer down by the Model 14 .308. Hunting buddy's wife got her first deer with it this week. Not to be out done, next day he dropped a deer at 300 yards with it, scoped with VX3 36mm 2.5 x 8.

fyimo

I took the Model 14 in 308 on a 4 day deer hunt in Arkansas and I killed two does with it and both were one shot kills and they both dropped in their tracks. I will be doing the post Christmas hunt and I hope to fill my last three tags using this rifle and I'm really liking this rifle. I was using Hornady SST 150 grain bullets in my reloads and they were loaded to 2825 FPS.