Thread: need help building 300 rum

timmay

need help building 300 rum

Im wanting to build a long range rifle in 300 rum.
    Can any Savage long action work for this like maybe a 30-06 action? If not which actions will work? Ill be on the look out for some 300rum savage rifles for sale for a donor.
    I would prefer a repeater but if its too much of a problem to do then a single shot is ok. Should I just start with a new target action?
    Can someone please lay out the best way of doing this?

Oh and if anyone asks why I want to do this in 300rum, my answer is because I want to :)

Basic Member

Re: need help building 300 rum

Actually you could build that rifle pretty cheap right now...

Grab one of the standard shank LA for sale in the classifieds, Savage or the Stevens 1.05" threads I believe. Like this one... Stevens LA http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,46199.0.html

You will need to get a different bolt face to handle the 300RUM...the .473 face with that action is for 308ish type rounds

Head over to NUMRICH GUN PARTS and search SAVAGE VARMINT...a page of results will pop up and scroll down...FACTORY NEW SAVAGE VARMINT BARREL 24" Stainless Steel .810 at the muzzle in 300RUM $79.95+ shipping...

Grab yourself a used LA Varmint stock or pop for a Choate Tactical from Midway USA for $221 and YOU ARE IN BUSINESS...all you need is a 20-30MOA base. a set of rings and some glass...

ellobo

Ol' Capt Beech forgot to mention, you have to be a paid member to access the classified ads on this website. Good luck. I know how that "I want one" stuff goes.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Are you looking at this rifle being a single shot? If so, you could you really use any action you wanted. You will have to change the bolt head to accept the 300 ultra mag, and if you get a long action you may have to modify the magazine to accept the cartridges.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

timmay

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH
    Actually you could build that rifle pretty cheap right now...

Grab one of the standard shank LA for sale in the classifieds, Savage or the Stevens 1.05" threads I believe. Like this one... Stevens LA http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,46199.0.html

You will need to get a different bolt face to handle the 300RUM...the .473 face with that action is for 308ish type rounds

Head over to NUMRICH GUN PARTS and search SAVAGE VARMINT...a page of results will pop up and scroll down...FACTORY NEW SAVAGE VARMINT BARREL 24" Stainless Steel .810 at the muzzle in 300RUM $79.95+ shipping...

Grab yourself a used LA Varmint stock or pop for a Choate Tactical from Midway USA for $221 and YOU ARE IN BUSINESS...all you need is a 20-30MOA base.
    a set of rings and some glass...
    Thanks for the reply, but like the other guy said Im not a paying member so I cant look at the classifieds (which I think is dumb but whatever).
    Ill look into your other ideas though, thank you

Don - LongRangeSupply

If you want a repeater you will either have to use an RUM action to start with or modify a long action. The RUM mag box is longer then the standard magnum box and will not fit in standard long actions.

As for the current single shot target actions they are all SHORT actions as I recall, which will mean removing the bolt to extract rounds which is something to consider. (I don't think you will have to remove the bolt to extract empties.....?)

Savage built RUM's in small and large shanks so either one should be fine, though the large shank does give you an extra margin of safety. The smaller shank RUM if you can find them will allow you to use all you other small shank barrels.

I am assuming that most or all of the barrel makers will still make a small shank RUM barrel?